Scrum set 'Trick'

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not sure 'Trick' best describes this scenario......dangerous/stupid trick maybe!!

Have noted a couple of LH props, since the introduction of the new sequance, on "Bind" place the crown of their heads on oppo THs shoulder and on "Set" give a 'nod' downwards to allow their heads to slip under and fully engage.

In other words they are leaning against the oppo transferring substantial weight through their heads/necks onto oppo FR prior to the "set" call.

Anyone else spot this dangerous and obviously illegal practice?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Yes, last Saturday at a match I was observing.
The fault lies in the referee not spotting that the front rows are too close together. It is something that is increasing because referees are afraid of the front rows being too far away for the 'set' and over compensating.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree, as with everything else the ref should spot it, but as we all know props are B......ds and will try every trick in the book and more!!

Not sure if you thought it was something that just 'happened' or like me you saw it being deliberately used as a tactic.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I have played prop in my youth. The problem with it is that there can be pressure on the collar bone and this can be a little bit painful if the L/H is trying to just be a nuisance and start something unsavoury.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have played prop in my youth. The problem with it is that there can be pressure on the collar bone and this can be a little bit painful if the L/H is trying to just be a nuisance and start something unsavoury.

No..this is not something that would have happened prior to the most recent scrum engage sequence.

FRs would have been further apart and therefore unable to engage in such tactics!