Season Over

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, there we have it, the season is now over for me. A bit of a lingering death it died too. Last league game was Camborne SOM v Redruth Albany over a month ago, I also refereed an U16 cup match on Easter Monday and then this...

Yesterday I refereed Totnes v Dartmouth in a federation appointed L9 league game. It wasn't a bad game all things considered. Plenty of endeavor, but not quite the skill levels to go with it. Plenty of tight action, lots of play around the fringes which made it a different challenge to most of the games I've had down this way.

A couple of fairly pathetic one-on-one hand-bagging incidents towards the end of the game. Luckily I checked over my shoulder as I was moving away from a ruck as a couple of the guys started as it broke up. So, quickly spotted and blown.

All in all, not a particularly exciting game, but the assessor seemed to be fairly positive. So, the report will go up when I get it.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here's the report (also attached):

NAME OF REFEREE: Simon Griffiths
LEVEL: 10
SOCIETY: Plymouth (SW Fed`n)

MATCH TYPE: LEAGUE
LEVEL: 9
DATE: 12.4.2008

MATCH RESULT: Totnes (9pts) -v- Dartmouth (6pts)

1.CHALLENGE OF THE MATCH:

Dry, sunny day, following morning rain. Flat, well-covered pitch, taking a stud. Stiff crosswind. Visitors already relegated; home side needing one win to be safe. Dartmouth were much stronger in the scrums, whereas Totnes had more pace outside; an interesting contrast of styles. The skills at times did not match the endeavour of both sides and when handling moves did occur, strong defence was in evidence. With frequent handling errors, there was plenty of opportunity for Simon to use advantage, which he did often and consistently. Being a local derby, things got a little heated at times, but Simon`s calm manner kept things on an even keel and ensured that the few incidents which occurred were only a minor blip in a game which was otherwise played in excellent spirit. Dartmouth led 3-6 at the break and Totnes scored two penalties in the second half to win 9-6,which was a little unfortunate for Dartmouth as they had most of the possession and territory in the game, but could not turn it into points when the opportunity arose.

2.MATCH MANAGEMENT:

Simon controlled the key areas well and his quiet, calm control transmitted itself to the players, who responded well to his manner of refereeing. His positioning was always good so that decisions were made with confidence and the players did not get drawn into disputing them. He managed the few “flare ups” calmly and his manner with the players was pleasant and drew a good response from both teams. His communication was clear and his preventative style enabled the game to flow.

PLEASE ASSESS THE REFEREE’S MATCH MANAGEMENT USING THE CRITERIA: G

3.THE REFEREE’S POTENTIAL:

Simon has all the attributes to advance given the right games and encouragement and with youth and fitness on his side, he should progress well. A very good prospect; one to watch.

ASSESSOR SOCIETY: Devon

4. KEY COMPONENTS: TACKLE, MAUL, ADVANTAGE, RUCKS, KICKS, LINE-OUT, SCRUM

AREAS TO DEVELOP - Please select up to three of the above units to outline areas that need to be developed using the Key Component descriptors.

Lineout: Good gaps set and maintained and varied position well. Controlled the ten metres consistently and played advantage from not straight and knock-ons. When at the front, Simon tended to be back on his heels and I suggested that he make a point of moving with the ball as it is thrown in. In this game, he was able to make up ground but at a higher level and pace of game, could be a little late to the breakdown when there is quick ball from the lineout. MD

Ruck: Simon called rucks as formed and controlled the back foot well from good positions.At times he stayed in a little too close and “square” and missed some midfield encroachment .I suggested moving back slightly and turning through forty-five degrees to open his field of vision and thus deter these infringements. MD

REFEREE’S STRENGTHS - Please select up to three of the above units to outline the referee’s strengths in this match, using the Key Component descriptors.

Tackle: A very strong performance. The players were made aware of their obligations and complied well so that good ball was available from this source throughout the game. Simon kept supporting players on their feet and ensured that they entered from the correct side. When the ball did not emerge he correctly identified if an offence had occurred and awarded the penalty accordingly. Five penalties here in the first half and one in the second half illustrates his control of this area of the game. G

Maul: Simon moved well with and around the maul and was preventative when players looked like infringing, thus keeping the game flowing. When mauls went down, he correctly awarded scrum ball and he ensured correct entry and binding by talking to the players .He called the ball out once the maul had become static and was always in a good position to move with the ball when it emerged. He was particularly good at anticipating when to get “in goal” as the maul got near the goal line. G

Communication: Quiet, calm but authoritative, Simon imposed himself on the game without being overbearing. His whistle and signals were clear and his verbal communication ,particularly when playing advantage played a huge part in the game. He showed his enjoyment and this transmitted itself to the players, who were appreciative of Simon`s efforts after the game. G

Attachments

• S Griffiths Totnes Report (Devon (Fed)).doc
    88 KB · Views: 4

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, I ended the season on a positive note.

One of the highlights for me was finally meeting one of the Hampshire crew. ST, thank you for a good day down your neck of the woods, and an assessment which I think set me up for the second half of the season - a number of points you picked up on, and explained very well, have improved through the second half of the season. :) (Likewise, a couple more still need a bit of work, or at least a bit more consistency...).

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Nice end to the season. Lets hope that you get promotion