Shin splints

MattSei

Referees in America
Post Likes
I've been suffering with really nasty shin splints since October. Any suggestions on how to make it through the season?

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
good insoles for your boots. Pain killers and rest (unfortunately).

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Andy speaks truth - ibuprofen and rest was the main remedy that worked for me.

It's worth understanding that shin splints are often caused by an imbalance in the flexibility and strength of the muscles at the front and back of the lower leg - so stretching the soleus & gastrocnemius (heel down, toe up) and the tibialis anterior (toes pointed) will help. But the best exercise you can do is to work the tibialis anterior (the muscle that runs across the front of the shin) to build its strength relative to the big powerful muscles on the back of your calf - you can work this muscle by doing toe raises. Initially, just do this by sitting with your legs out straight and pulling your toes up towards you. You could then progress to using a thera-band tied around something solid to offer you resistance.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd just add that finding the cause and removing it would also be worthwhile!

Are you doing any exercise that could have had a cumulative effect (eg running regularly on hard surfaces)?

Have you been doing any different exercises in the past couple of months / weeks or more intense or more prolonged?

MattSei

Referees in America
Post Likes
I stopped running on treadmills for that very reason. I would get them all the time when I was younger, but stopped getting them after I switched to training on a pitch or using an ellipse machine at the gym.

I sat around most of the day yesterday and if feels much better, but I kinow they will be screaming by halftime this weekend. I'll try getting some insoles for my boots and see what that does.

Thanks

P

p.a.l.

Also - ice ice ice. Its a magic cure for just about anything that has to do with inflammation. Just remember, no direct contact with skin, and no more than 20 minutes. I usually take a wet kitchen towel, wrap that around the area to be iced and then strap a bag of ice to the spot.