Shoulder Barge

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
This from today. Under 16's school match. Big Number 8 (he frightened me at pace) running at speed, hands off one would be tackler and then shoulder barges the next tackler. I take a few seconds to think and then ping him for foul play and award a penalty. He didn't attempt to hand off, just a good old fashioned shoulder barge trying to force his way through the tackle.

I'm not convinced I was right and am struggling for the relevant law.

Help!:confused::wales:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
this is a great question.
I think technically you are wrong, but it can be hard to keep from blowing your whistle when this happens in a youth game

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Hmm. I think you're on dodgy ground there unless it was manifestly dangerous, like to the head with the point of the shoulder

viper492

Post Likes
Hmm. I think you're on dodgy ground there unless it was manifestly dangerous, like to the head with the point of the shoulder

I think you're spot on!
I don't have a law reference (I'm sure if I looked hard enough I'd probably find one but wouldn't know where to start), but it is not something I would ever penalise. In fact, it was persistently coached to us (as junior players, before I quit playing) to run low, hard and to use the shoulder to break through tackles. I guess to add to that I was always told that as an attacking player you could shoulder charge and defenders couldn't. (I'm assuming these guys probably knew what they were talking about - if they're wrong I'm definitely willing to learn what the actual law is!)

As a referee, I can't see any reason to penalise the player unless, as SimonSmith said, it was manifestly dangerous - e.g. play turning himself into a human projectile directed at the tackler's head :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Its human nature to dip your shoulder as you go into contact.
You see it hundreds of times in every game.

Its also legal to shoulder barge (shoulder to shoulder) chasing a loose ball.

[LAWS]10.1 (a) Charging or pushing. When a player and an opponent are running for the ball, either player
must not charge or push the other except shoulder-to-shoulder.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did you think it was dangerous play (given contectual judgement, materiality, common sense)? If so - fair call IMO!