Signal for scatter rucking?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had occasion this week to penalise a player for taking out an opponent off the ball. When I was next across the other side of the pitch for a line out, the TJ (coach of the offender) politely inquired what the penalty had been awarded for, as he had not seen one of my customary clear signals.

I had to admit that I had not used one for, without the use of a lot of theatrical
gesturing, I could not think of a suitable signal. I have always been advised that in this situation one should mimic the action being penalised however I had not wanted to frighten the players.

Any suggestions? :chin:

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Good question.

I wouldn't have used a signal to be honest. The IRB, as you say, has not prescribed one and it's not within my remit to create a signal. I'm sure the referee that team next saw in a similar situation would not use the same signal, so for consistency's sake I'd leave it out.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Obstruction perhaps?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I've used the obstruction signal for offences of this nature. It does the trick.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Maybe the signal for an early tackle? I too find it difficult where there is no formal signal - I try to give the verbal explanation a lot louder than normal but obviously that isn't much use to those on the touchline unless I bellow!!

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
Erm, I can't find a signal for an early tackle in my law book.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
The obstruction signal is a good one, thanks guys. I will store that one away.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You could also use the shoving that can be used for a lineout offence.

I suppose at a push you could use the 'not binding' signal, since that is what the player is primarily guilty of. Didn't there used to be a signal for an illegal tackle?

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I suppose if it wasn't a push, you could go for the pulling signal.

Ive used a generic "shoulder charge" signal in the past which seems to have done the job. Think as long as there is a loud verbal explanation as well, you'd be safe.

There are plenty of things not in the good book that we all do, but that's for another thread me thinks....

cheers
www.refblog.co.uk