[Line out] Simplified Laws - Touch & lineout

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
TOUCH OR TOUCH-IN-GOAL
2 b. A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball,
and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the
plane of touch.

Jumping from outside the playing area, catching and then landing in the playing area has been debated on RR.

Some may consider this a law change. I think it's a 'clarification'.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What it means: If a ball is kicked toward touch a player , starting from off the playing area, may jump, catch the ball and land in the playing area. The position of the ball relative to touch is irrelevant so it could have crossed the plane of touch and still been kept in play.

This was not specifically supported in 2017 laws and had been rejected by some on this forum.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The bit you have quoted doesn't say that. It doesn't really say anything. I guess it needs context

But if that is NOT touch then I think that would be a change from the current Law .. but a very welcome one as the less reference the impossible to judge plane of touch, the better imo

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OK, CR, I've take the bit from the simplified laws and added de-emphasis to clarify.

[LAWS]2. The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:

b. A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball,
and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the
plane of touch.
[/LAWS]

You can also replace "regardless of whether" with "even if".

Agree totally with your sentiments on this. May the "plane of touch" be banished from all rugby law.

I have always asked that a player (usually a winger) stands deep in touch on the ops PK when they are going to touch. The intent is to run forward in touch, jump and attempt to catch any kick that is barely over the touch line and land in the field of play.

Last edited:

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
It may be the law, it may have been before and is now clarified but I still hate it. Play and players should be within the field of play.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Actually if you want to make the law easier to read you can cut verbiage.
What is wrong with

The ball is not in touch if:

b. A player jumps, catches the ball and lands in the playing area.

I might add "while still in the air" and "with both feet" even though the former is implied and the latter is covered in the definition of in.