Six Nations referees

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can I just say that this is a flawed system. The 10 referees selected for the 6 Nations ARE the referees who are going to the RWC. I assure you that. These 10 are the refs.

Walsh selected over Dickinson is a farce, as SANZAR rates Dickinson Number 2 ahead of Bryce Lawrence, Jonathan Kaplan. However yet Walsh is selected ahead of him!?!? WTF, Walsh doesn't deserve to be there.

Lewis did have a good 3 nations game, yet Rolland is selected ahead of him.

Pearson had a clanger of a test at Murrayfield yet he is going.

Kaplan was shocking but so was Mark Lawrence. Yet Lawrence ranked 2 tied with Dickinson for SANZAR missed out?

If Dave Pearson, Alain Rolland and Steve Walsh are going over, than the RWC is in serious trouble.

Where are you pulling those referee rankings from??

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Where are you pulling those referee rankings from??

I would like to know the answer to that too, since AFAIA, SANZAR don't publish any official referee rankings.

Reindeer Flotilla

Referees in America
Post Likes
The biggest surprises for me were the presence of Steve Walsh and the absence of Christophe Berdos. Walsh did a fine job in the Super 14 with the notable exception one match.

FKlopper

Post Likes
Just a couple of interesting changes to the referee's in the forthcoming rounds.

England vs France - Steve Walsh has withdrawn from this appointment with a knee injury; George Clancy takes his place.

Scotland vs Italy - Alain Rolland is replaced by Steve Walsh (presumably so that the IRB get a chance to assess him)

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why didn't they just switch Rolland and Walsh?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Christophe Berdos has ref'd 19 matches already this season, 6 H-Cup, 1 Challenge, 12 "Top 14" & 1 "Pro2".

Seems quite alot of games at this level, perhaps this might explain his absence from the 6 Nations.

FKlopper

Post Likes
Why didn't they just switch Rolland and Walsh?

Not really sure - Rolland has already refereed England in the Six Nations, but surely it's not based on that. The fact Alain speaks fluent French would also have been good for the potential Grand Slam decider.

Maybe they want to give Clancy a big test match - the only 'big' international I remember him refereeing was Australia vs SA in the Tri-Nations, and that was also an injury replacement.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Christophe Berdos has ref'd 19 matches already this season, 6 H-Cup, 1 Challenge, 12 "Top 14" & 1 "Pro2".

Seems quite alot of games at this level, perhaps this might explain his absence from the 6 Nations.

I have an alternative explanation: He isnt in their top 10 for the RWC.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
big one for Clancy ... good luck ... i like Clancy ... just that soemtimes he looks like a rabbit caught in the lights ...
did ok last Sat .. not his fault it was an awful game with low skills.

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I personally think Clancy is awful. Possibly the worst referee on the panel.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
big one for Clancy ... good luck ... i like Clancy ... just that soemtimes he looks like a rabbit caught in the lights ...
did ok last Sat .. not his fault it was an awful game with low skills.

Are you his mother/father/brother as this is the only reason I can think of anyone liking Clancy. Personally I think he is one of the worst IRB panel refs and doesn't deserve the Eng v Fra game (then again giving it to Walsh was a big call)

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I really like Clancy he's a no nonsense ref. However sometimes he can be terrible, but sometimes he can be really good.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
.... However sometimes he can be terrible, but sometimes he can be really good.

So he's inconsistent. Not exactly what we are looking for in a referee is it?

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So he's inconsistent. Not exactly what we are looking for in a referee is it?

Indeed, but every referee is inconsistent, from Stu Dickinson to Craig Joubert to Alain Rolland. I've seen Clancy have great games, but I've also seen him have poor games. Like every player. If there wasn't an inconsistency there wouldn't be too many referees aside from my good mate Wayne Barnes.