Sky Sports Ad.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Just saw one of the Sky Sports ads with Eric Cantona featuring the London Wasps v London Irish game with a horribly butchered try. In the run up, it looks like the ref is Rob Debney (I'd recognise that bald patch anywhere). The shot cuts away to Eric Cantona in in-goal spouting some wise crack. In the background the ref comes into shot. As this is clearly a faked shot, it's unsurprising that it's not actually Sean. But unless my eyes are playing tricks, it appears that they've got Lyndon Bray to do it. How random!!!

Anyone else seen it??

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN8KirZ-9uE

ref1.jpg
ref2.jpg

Its not Rob Debney (he was definitely the referee for that match in 2007)

debney.jpg

But I don't think its Lyndon Bray either. This is Lyndon.

3642174.jpg

IMO they probably couldn't use Rob Debney's image (possibly for contractual reasons over image rights, or something like that), so they have used someone else's face.

Last edited:

Jacko

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I see what you mean. Pretty poor interpretation of the prem reffing top too!!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Now you come to mention it, I can see that they've recreated the whole scene. The numbers on the jumper are too massive and they've just got some random guy to be the referee. It won't be Bray, as they wouldn't have got him to fly half way across the world for some small advertising slot.

And besides, it can't be actual footage that last bit, as the whistle tone is all wrong...definitely not a knock on whistle!

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Well, according to Invictus, there was only 2 refs in the whole of that world cup!

Jacko

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
God we're sad.

PS - Keith, have you tried on the new kit? Yellow and pink fit me fine (and the pink is beautiful) but the blue with the horizontal stripes is more than a little snug!!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
PS - Keith, have you tried on the new kit? Yellow and pink fit me fine (and the pink is beautiful) but the blue with the horizontal stripes is more than a little snug!!

Why have they given you different sizes of shirt?

Jacko

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
They are all medium in theory. Maybe a put on a couple of stone in the time it took me to change!

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Medium? What's a medium? They aren't coming up very big are they. I'm having issues with my pink one...

(feels the need to take this conversation off line... :wink: )