Skydiving!!

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Skydiving!! Anyone made a jump?

Big birthday coming up next week and I have talked myself into having a skydive to celebrate!! I have never really been the thrill seeking type (I was the always the last one in my family to go on the rollercoasters at Disneyland, Dreamworld etc but since doing a bit of travelling over the last year am finding myself needing explore new things, and since I can't travel at the moment came up with skydiving... :Nerv:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have done over 50 jumps, static line and freefall.

What did you want to know?

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Planning on doing an AFF course. I have done a bit of research and looked at a lot of youtube vids BUT as most who have been on the weightloss thread can see I am still 'fairly' heavy for someone who is 183cm tall at 105kg.

105kg is what I have been told the upper limit is for beginner skydiving.
I do expect to get assessed before I jump by the instructors and I am not in any rush and still working on getting the weight down still.

So opinions from anyone in the know - hold off or just do it? What have been other people's skydiving/ thrill seeker experiences?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I did a one off static line jump from 2,000 feet IIRC years ago. I was worried sick before it but the training was superb and really does calm the nerves. :wink: I would definately recommend a jump of some kind (static line is the easiest) and see if you like it.

I wanted to go again but they wouldn't allow it. If you think rugby training is hard, trust me I have never ached so much in my life after 2 days of jumping off ramps and practicing rolls etc.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Planning on doing an AFF course. I have done a bit of research and looked at a lot of youtube vids BUT as most who have been on the weightloss thread can see I am still 'fairly' heavy for someone who is 183cm tall at 105kg.

105kg is what I have been told the upper limit is for beginner skydiving.
I do expect to get assessed before I jump by the instructors and I am not in any rush and still working on getting the weight down still.

So opinions from anyone in the know - hold off or just do it? What have been other people's skydiving/ thrill seeker experiences?

Well I was heavier than that when I started. :confused:

AFF courses are awesome, great if you want to continue skydiving. If you just want to do a few jumps for the experience then an AFF course is probably overkill. As it's name suggest Advanced Free Fall is a course to get you up the freefall ladder at an accelerated rate. Basically you learn "in the air" about body position and technique. But you are paying for someone else to jump (and probably a cameraman too) as well as your own jump. By the end of the course you should be jumping on your own from 12,000 feet. That gives you around 30 seconds of freefall if I remember correctly.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Skydiving!! Anyone made a jump?

Big birthday coming up next week and I have talked myself into having a skydive to celebrate!! I have never really been the thrill seeking type (I was the always the last one in my family to go on the rollercoasters at Disneyland, Dreamworld etc but since doing a bit of travelling over the last year am finding myself needing explore new things, and since I can't travel at the moment came up with skydiving... :Nerv:

Commiserations. The only time I have a jump is on my birthday too.