SL Grand Final

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't get them RL boys.

Punching in the face is perfectly acceptable because there was an unacceptable forearm shove.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
That forearm from Hohaia is just par for the course in RL. You see that every day of the week in both SL and NRL. At the absolute worst it gets "on report" if its a bad one.
I've seen a video on FB of the forearm smash to Flowers' chops. I think it may explain the "rush of blood" for the first punch at least. Nothing much explains the 2nd punch apart from red mist.

TBH I would have :norc: both of them.

Last edited:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've seen a video on FB of the forearm smash to Flowers' chops. I think it may explain the "rush of blood" for the first punch at least. Nothing much explains the 2nd punch apart from red mist.

TBH I would have :norc: both of them.

Not even the first punch. It started with a cheap shot by Flowers on Hohaia while the ball was in the air which took Hohaia off his feet (see at 0.13 on 4eyesbetter's clip - the incident is the two players coming together about 22m out); he then chased Flower and shoulder-charged him, and got the two punches back for his pains.

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've watched this back a few times, the first offence appears (to me at least) to be by Flowers, shortly after the kick goes up, seems to be a bit of a push on Hohaia as they are following the ball. Hohaia then reacts with the shove / forearm for which he gets punched and goes to ground. Can't explain the second punch though...just plain thuggery!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is SL a summer sport hence the Grand Final in October?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Granted it looks worse in slo mo , but the targeting of the eye area appears calculatingly deliberate .... And doesn't fit into my definition of a red mist action !

The code needs to send a strong message throughout all tiers of the game, will it?...we await

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
13 game ban for punching someone who was already knocked out (at least, that's how the reports have it).

seems light.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
do they not ensure the ban covers in-season periods in Rugby League, as we do in Union?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Of which nearly 4 months are close season

He will also miss selection for Wales

v Scotland (Oct 17)
v France (Oct 25)
v Ireland (Nov 4)

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
do they not ensure the ban covers in-season periods in Rugby League, as we do in Union?

A typical ban will at all levels be expressed in terms of matches missed, not days/weeks/months, so yes. This will have been calculated with an eye on the number of matches it's actually going to put him out for.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So that's 10 competitive 'SL' matches , obviously way way way over the 8 minimum for a grade F offence

http://www.superleague.co.uk/about_sl/disciplinary

And the Internationals and the pre-season matches as well.

Missing pre-season might not seem like much, but it can put a player behind the 8 ball in terms of match fitness.

Still think its light though, given the viciousness of the attack. I would have liked tom have seen him miss at least half the 2015 season.

[off topic]
Can anyone familiar with UK Superleague explain why there are 27 regular season games with a competition comprising 14 teams? If each team plays home and away ties than that would normally be 26 matches. Where does the extra match come from?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
And the Internationals and the pre-season matches as well.

Missing pre-season might not seem like much, but it can put a player behind the 8 ball in terms of match fitness.

Still think its light though, given the viciousness of the attack. I would have liked tom have seen him miss at least half the 2015 season.

[off topic]
Can anyone familiar with UK Superleague explain why there are 27 regular season games with a competition comprising 14 teams? If each team plays home and away ties than that would normally be 26 matches. Where does the extra match come from?

Magic Weekend -I'd guess.

All 14 teams play 7 games over two days at one ground (Man City's last year) start at 13h00 finish at 20h00 on a weekend in May.

I go - it's a good weekend - costs about £50 for a match ticket for the 2 days.

It's been at Murrayfield and Millenium and is at Newcastle Utd's St James Park in 2015.

I think they tried it as a season opener but sitting watching Rugby for 12 hours in February was a numbskull's idea.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Magic Weekend -I'd guess.

All 14 teams play 7 games over two days at one ground (Man City's last year) start at 13h00 finish at 20h00 on a weekend in May.

I go it's a good weekend - costs about £50 for a match ticket for the 2 days.

It's been at Murrayfield and Millenium and is at Newcastle Utd's St James Park in 2015.

I think they tried it as a season opener but sitting watching Rugby for 12 hours in February was a numbskull's idea.
Wiki agrees. Once at home, once away, plus a magic weekend fixture.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Its x10 SL games , international player status (or not) or friendlies are irrelevant.

I'm wondering how you could get more than a 'near bottom end' of "F" sanction?, perhaps be insincere with your (PR scripted) apology?!!!