Squads announced

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
^ That game is not a like for like comparison. Haskell spent the game defending, Easter and Robshaw attacking. He did play well though.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Seems like a good idea and would be great to watch but imagine the niggle, and the injuries.

There have been a few great match ups recently but in individual positions, such as back row, Quins v Wasps where Haskell outplayed Robshaw and Easter.
The problem with the old trial matches as a spectacle was that the team did not count, only your own individual performance (in so far as it is distinct, of course). Moreover it was not uncommon for the sides to be swapped around at half time to try new combinations.

This was all in the days before England training camps, of course.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
that's just the support-underdog-thing though Dickie :)

The main issue for me about one opff selection days such as P v P etc is that especially in a game like rugby, one's own performance is very much dependent on everybody else's. A possible #9 is unlikely to impress with an all round game if his #1-#5 are themselves being stuffed at scrum time. Add to that one off, on the day issues like feeling unwell, or some persoanl, domaestic issue playing on one's mind then that could be affecting a performance.

Its a long term, all round appraisal that is required.

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'd challenge that slightly Didds.

The famed (well, he is in my house anyway) Roy Laidlaw was recognized as an excellent scrum half despite playing the majority of his career behind an indifferent at best pack (classic back row in 84 including David Leslie notwithstanding)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'd challenge that slightly Didds.

The famed (well, he is in my house anyway) Roy Laidlaw was recognized as an excellent scrum half despite playing the majority of his career behind an indifferent at best pack (classic back row in 84 including David Leslie notwithstanding)

What about Colin Deans?

Arguably the best Hooker in the British Isles and missed out on 1983 Lions caps because Fitzgerald was skipper.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Ciaran Fitzgerald couldn't hit the floor if he poured piss from an upturned boot. His lineout throwing was worse

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Most of us have learned not to follow any links posted by Dickie :nono:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Most of us have learned not to follow any links posted by Dickie :nono:

You know you could never resist Phil. Not even a sneak peek? :)