Squeezeball during advantage

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
U15 match. Green attacking, about 10 metres from try line. Ref calls Gold offside, penalty. Penalty taken quickly and ball carrier is tackled by Gold player not 10.
Ref calls "Not 10, playing penalty advantage", Green player goes to ground (as a result of the tackle) and uses squeezeball to get the ball to his No.9

(For avoidance of doubt, squeezeball is banned at U19 and below)

Should the Ref call back for the Not 10 offence, penalty to Green, or the Squeezeball offence, penalty to Gold?

I think the "Not 10" but with a word to the Green who used squeezeball, but I'm not sure....

Thanks.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Absolutely correct.

Playing advantage for an offence (not ten by Gold), offence by Green means go back to the original offence for this advantage (not ten by Gold).

Perhaps only offence by Green you would not go back for is serious Foul Play -penalise that and ignore advantage/not ten.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting. When Tim talks about "serious Foul Play" I take that to mean Dangerous Play & Misconduct as defined in Law 10.4 (dangerous tackle, striking, late charging kicker, etc) and I would agree with him.

So is squeezeball at junior level Dangerous Play? I guess it must be otherwise it wouldn't be illegal.

But pragmatically I would go with Penalty to Green with stern word to Green ball carrier.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I'd go back. Whilst Squeeze ball is clearly considered dangerous. i would take the reference to serious foul play to be acts directed at the opposition in such cases.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In any case, some acts are more dangerous than other eg a face slap versus a kick in the head.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I'd go back. Whilst Squeeze ball is clearly considered dangerous. i would take the reference to serious foul play to be acts directed at the opposition in such cases.

Exactly - sqeezeball is outlawed at u-18 due to the danger to the ball carrier, rather than any danger to the opposition.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
From my experience at younger levels (u12), youngsters mainly do a squeezeball inadvertantly (they're in an awkward position and are just trying to get the ball presented somehow). I think that infringement would definitely not mean an lost of advantage.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In any case, some acts are more dangerous than other eg a face slap versus a kick in the head.

True but both of those would trump an offside or not back 10.