Statistics

BillBu

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Having been signed off work due to gastroenteritis (I reffed on Saturday with this!! luckily the 80 minutes was filled with immodium and painkillers :biggrin: ) I have made a spreadsheet for someone wanting to record thier games and progress.

It gives some averages and totals which may be of use to spot trends or may be of use to track your progress over time.

This may not be up everyones street but I thought it might be a starting point for anyone wanting to do this.

Hands up all those who think im a bored software developer :Looser: I dont normally do any excel development so it gave me a chance to improve me skills :biggrin:

If there is any demand ill convert it to Excel 97 / 2003 (but you can download a compatibility pack which allows you to view it in Excel 97 / 2003).

http://rapidshare.com/files/169461849/Game_Information.xlsx

Any problems let me know.

Thanks

Bill

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks Bill

i was never any good with Excel!!!!

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I wrote a similar spreadsheet a while ago, which a few other RRFers have used - my version is here.

Ah, the geeky keeping of statistics :D

BillBu

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
it may be geeky but it does help show trends and obviously keeps a good record of all you matches :)

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I've compiled statistics from 6 similar matches this year. By "similar" i mean they were relatively around the same level (+/- a match level) and the scores were all relatively close, so that a 55-0 blowout wouldn't skew the data.

A few interesting notes:
- in lower skilled games, a much lower ratio of tackle:ruck PKs. Teams either competed more at ruck time at lower levels, and also were less "smart" in understanding when the ball was lost.

- Although not shown, the majority of scrum resets were occurring in the 2nd half when the FR players got tired. FR replacements/substitutions also didn't help, as they had to get into the "rhythm" and this may have taken a reset or 2.

-The home team always wins.

They have been helpful in a game-by-game basis, but I find that tracking trends over a series of matches hasn't really helped. I learn far more from analysing the video/mic of each match individually than trying to paint everything with the same brush...

Attachments

• Overall Game Analysis 2008.xls
    96 KB · Views: 9

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My stats are somewhat different. In 9 matches (the 10th had uncontested scrums after the first one), 72 resets: 40 in the first half and 32 in the second. 7 home wins, 2 away, and 1 draw.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've compiled statistics from 6 similar matches this year. By "similar" i mean they were relatively around the same level (+/- a match level) and the scores were all relatively close, so that a 55-0 blowout wouldn't skew the data.

A few interesting notes:
- in lower skilled games, a much lower ratio of tackle:ruck PKs. Teams either competed more at ruck time at lower levels, and also were less "smart" in understanding when the ball was lost.

- Although not shown, the majority of scrum resets were occurring in the 2nd half when the FR players got tired. FR replacements/substitutions also didn't help, as they had to get into the "rhythm" and this may have taken a reset or 2.

-The home team always wins.

They have been helpful in a game-by-game basis, but I find that tracking trends over a series of matches hasn't really helped. I learn far more from analysing the video/mic of each match individually than trying to paint everything with the same brush...

You surely didn't count all these stats yourself as you were going along?
Did someone count them for you or did you get them from a video?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
You surely didn't count all these stats yourself as you were going along?
Did someone count them for you or did you get them from a video?
The detailed stats (where the breakdown of specific PKs/FKs is given) was done by me using the video (hooked up with an open mic).

The stats where they're not as detailed (i.e. only total tackle PKs listed without reference to specific infringements) were from coaching reports.