Sun Photograph

Wilko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Has anyone seen the photograph on page 50 of The Sun today.

It clearly shows Denis Leamy gouging the eyes of Tom Croft. In my opinion from the angle of his fingers it looks quite deliberate to me.

Will he/should he be cited for this? Given that Martin Corry is currently serving a ban for the same offence then surely Denis should anticipate a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Your thoughts?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Has anyone seen the photograph on page 50 of The Sun today.

It clearly shows Denis Leamy gouging the eyes of Tom Croft. In my opinion from the angle of his fingers it looks quite deliberate to me.

Will he/should he be cited for this? Given that Martin Corry is currently serving a ban for the same offence then surely Denis should anticipate a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Your thoughts?

Here is the photo you saw in The Sun

SunPhoto.jpg

And here is a photo in the Brisbane Times taken within a fraction of a second of the Sun photo

leamy.jpg

There is a very real danger trying to determine guilt from a still photo. The photo represents a fraction of a second; a moment in time when Leamy's fingers were near Croft's eyes. Leamy may have felt where his fingers were and moved them pronto 1/2 a second later.

I think this was brought up in the Martin Corry thread.

Has Croft or the England management complained?

Are the sports jocks making a big deal out of that photo?

The words "finger", "eye" and "gouge" appear nowhere in the article.

Nuff said

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I heard the ref call Get off hios head, may have been in this maul and the player concerned complied so no issue, this one doesn't look deliberate to me