Surprise surprise....

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Got to my game on Saturday to find out they were doing a spot assessment on me - nice!! :knuppel2:

Not too bad, in the cicumstances, I thought....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name RugbyGeek LEVEL 10
Game Level 9
Home Team RED 40pts v BLACK 0pts

Description of the Match and its challenge for the Referee
This was a keenly contested match with Red always having the upper hand by dint of their strong three-quarter line. Black wanted to play the game amongst the forwards but were not strong enough to keep possession for long periods of time. The first half was very entertaining with Red leading 14-0 at the break. As the wind got up and the light drizzle made the ball slippery, the game became very scrappy and lost its gloss as a spectacle. Red won convincingly in the end but the score rather flattered them. There was very little by the way of foul play; some handbags off the ball between individual players on two occasions, but it quickly sorted itself out. Both sides demonstrated controlled aggression.

RugbyGeek was always in control of this match and both team captains complemented him for setting his stall out in each element of the game and sticking with it throughout. In short they appreciated knowing exactly where they stood. He maintained a constant dialogue throughout. Decisions were well explained and everyone was left in little doubt of what was required of them.

RugbyGeek also gave the best display I have seen this season in applying the tackle law. In the first half this ensured quick second phase ball and thus directly contributed to the running rugby that made the match so entertaining. In the second half as the weather took effect and players got tired there was more spoiling tactics at the tackle and both rucks and mauls. Both sides were given appropriate warnings and having not taken heed, two players were dispatched to the bin for team offences. The timing of these was totally appropriate. He has certainly put in place the advice given in his last report and responded proactively to the rising penalty count.

RugbyGeek got about the field far better than when I last watched him. He missed virtually nothing of consequence, has clearly worked on his positioning, and was therefore in the right place at the right time to make critical decisions. However, I would still like to see more evidence of a sprint pace and feel he has more work to do on this.

Nevertheless, on the evidence of this match he is certainly capable of doing games at level 9, or better, and is rapidly becoming a very safe pair of hands.

Please outline up to three areas for improvement (using Key Components) and OFFER SOLUTIONS
COMMUNICATION: I feel that RugbyGeek needs to vary the tone of his verbal communication, to avoid players “shutting off”. His commands are certainly becoming more specific, being directed at the individual players.

However, the most marked improvement must be in his hand signals. The primary signals were present but the secondary signals less so. He cannot rely just on verbal communication; hand signals are for the players as well as the crowd. I recommend that he learns these signals thoroughly, and practices making them as demonstrative as possible. The best referees appear to have all the time in the world to perform their repertoire of such signals.

Finally, RugbyGeek’s whistle for a penalty still needs to be a lot louder and sharper, in order to distinguish it from a scrum.

SCRUM: RugbyGeek was kept on his toes since Black wanted to scrum and Red didn’t! He managed the engagement well and this included penalising for engaging early. However, he should pay more attention to player’s binding and not just the front rows. From a very early stage Red released their binding too quickly. This must be dealt with as early as possible during the match, since it accounted for some of the times when RugbyGeek had to order a rescrum. The Red second rows were sometimes unbound before the ball had come out.

In addition, don’t spend so much time on the far side of the scrum, although, there is no problem going there on a few occasions, especially if you suspect there may be a problem e.g. with binding/ body position of one of the props.

Please list up to three of the referee’s strengths in this match
TACKLE: This area was very well refereed. Players were encouraged to roll away and arriving players made to stand on their feet. Subsequent arrivals who then went to ground, were seen and penalised. Players were reminded what was expected of them.
RUCK: RugbyGeek worked hard at his preventative refereeing which to a large extent, was effective; players were in no doubt when a ruck had started and the offside lines were well maintained. Those who ignored his advice and joined offside were penalized where no advantage took place. He circulated well having identified the location of the ball and correctly penalised for players handling on the ground.

KICKS/OPEN PLAY: RugbyGeek kept up with play, thus being in a position to ensure that players retired out of the 10 metre zone, with appropriate verbal communication. He correctly penalised for off side when players neglected to retire and their being there, was material to the play that followed, i.e. cutting down the receiving team’s options when there was no advantage. No offsides were missed as far as I could ascertain.

Name of advisor
(Block Capitals) xxxxxx Please assess the referees match
Management SD ND MD G G
POTENTIAL (Please X the appropriate box.)
This referee should be offered games at the next level of game X

This referee is correctly graded at this level
This referee would be more comfortable at a lower level game