Tackled into Touch

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Over what distance/time would you allow a Tackler/Non-tackler to take a tackled player into Touch? I.e. Ball-carrier taken to ground in FoP, but then pulled into touch, say less than 1m away.

Would it be different for a Tackler compared to a Non-tackler?

Would you be against it on the basis of 'negative play'?

In Law, presumably it has to be quicker than "immediately"! Therefore is 'in one continuous movement' sufficient for it to be allowed? Otherwise, even if the Tackler releases, Law 15.4c suggests that he (and 15.6c for Other Players) can only "play the ball", not the BC.

(This occurred in last week's National Schools 7s; I decreed 'in touch' as it appeared to be continuous enough. I suspect, in retrospect, that I should have been harsher = PK. One refs and learns. 2nd point, PK at point of tackle, i.e. within 1m of touch? I can't find any reason to take away from the place of infringement (21.1).)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Once the ball carrier is brought to ground all opponents need to release him to allow him to exercise his options. Therefore no drag allowed. Different if players are on feet as it is a maul.

Same would apply near goal line.

PK at place of infringement.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... pulled into touch, say less than 1m away.... 2nd point, PK at point of tackle, i.e. within 1m of touch? I can't find any reason to take away from the place of infringement (21.1).)
The mark for any PK is at the "place of infringement" if that is within 1m of touch, so be it.

What throws people is that an attacking PK can't be within 5m of a goal line, and scrums can't be within 5m of the touch line OR goal line. If it helps you, I ballsed it up in my first game, so after reading up on it, it stuck in my mind.