"Tackling" a jackler.

Paully

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm sure this is considered elsewhere but couldn't find it.

Tackle occurs. Defending side jackle goes for the ball. Next man (attacker) enters through gate but instead of driving up and through, grasps the jackle and twists him to the side and to the floor.

2 players in contact over ball on the floor = ruck. 1st man, if has grip on ball can continue to hold on. End up with 4players on deck and a ball on the floor.

I've seen this watching both at youth and profesional level and unpunished. It just doesn't feel right and seems to contravene 16.3. Thoughts?

If ok what can the 5th man do?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
To my mind:
If he has hands on the ball, he may be tackled

If he doesn't, it could well be collapsing the ruck

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
First question. Was it a ruck? If it was then was it hands in the ruck? Was he slowing it down?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
First question. Was it a ruck? If it was then was it hands in the ruck? Was he slowing it down?

If he has hands on the ball before the ruck was formed he can continue to play it with his hands, though no-one else can. That is pretty basic.

What the OP is describing I think is a croc-roll. It involves clearing a player out by twisting him to the side of the ruck and rolling him out of the way. It has been taught by coaches for a while, is potentially very dangerous but provided it is done safely is legal.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If he has hands on the ball before the ruck was formed he can continue to play it with his hands, though no-one else can. That is pretty basic.

What the OP is describing I think is a croc-roll. It involves clearing a player out by twisting him to the side of the ruck and rolling him out of the way. It has been taught by coaches for a while, is potentially very dangerous but provided it is done safely is legal.
I know that. But was the guy taken out to clear the ruck? So the sequence that should go through ones mind is

Is it a ruck - Yes
Hands on slowing it down? Yes
Was he taken out to clear it? Yes

A fetcher you do not want anywhere near a ball even if he is off his feet. They are there to test the limits IMO

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Is it a ruck - Yes
Hands on slowing it down? Yes
Was he taken out to clear it? Yes

Along with - did the player with hands on who is slowing it down get his hands on before the ruck formed, in which case he is entitled to keep his hands on

The sitiuation described in the OP is what is often termed a "saddle roll" and has been debated on here previously. I don't think many of us liked it, and it does seem to be deliberate collapse of the ruck - the counter arguement is that player with hands on is in possession and this liable to be tackled... but hands on ball vs ball in hands is a fine distinction.

john g

Referees in England
Post Likes
So going back to the op. The 5th player, as long as he comes though the "gate" can pick the ball up,
:chin: what gate would you use? The original tackle, the 2nd tackle or both:confused:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
If you're deeming it a second tackle , then logic suggests you've a 2nd gate?