[Tackle] Tackling a kicker

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If I remember correctly we previously discussed that it is OK to tackle an player who has just dropped a ball to kick it, and just after the kick if already committed. What if the kicker never had possession, ball on the ground. Would it be OK to tackle the kicker immediately before, during, or immediately after the kick?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If a player does not have possession of the ball, you cannot tackle him, so if the ball is on the ground, you have to play the ball, not the man.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If a player does not have possession of the ball, you cannot tackle him, so if the ball is on the ground, you have to play the ball, not the man.

Can you tackle a player who has dropped the ball to kick it, i.e. no longer carrying the ball? What about after the kick leaves the foot of a player who dropped the ball to kick it? Are those players still in "possession"? Is the player in possession while kicking a ball on the ground?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So you can tackle a player not in possession of the ball?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The timing involved would mean the tackler is pretty much committed to the tackle anyway. Has this not been done to death? Obviously there is a limit to how "late" is ok but come on be realistic.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So you can tackle a player not in possession of the ball?
Only if it was not considered a late tackle.
A player juggling the ball is usually considered to be in possession. The general principle stands but pragmatism is used in judging it.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would say no. They are never really in possession of the ball, and it's a different situation than someone who had possession and dropped the ball to kick it, when you may have already committed to a tackle and arrive after the ball has gone. With a fly kick, the kicker isn't in possession in the same way, so your options are to try and kick it yourself, recover the ball or chase very hard!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
It sounds like the OP is referring to a player fly hacking the ball. I find it difficult to see how a player can ever be considered to be in possession in this situation.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
..... or dribbling. Which is different from drooling. In neither case should the player be tackled.