Tackling beyond the vertical !

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fhm67kt2C_w

Samoan women uphold the tackling traditions of their menfolk :)

Being taken beyond the vertical seems to have saved the neck , anymore rotation and she might have landed on her feet again!

5 WK ban.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seems from the French subtitle that the French term this sort of tackle a "cathedral". Can any of our French-speaking colleagues explain the origin of that term? Is it just the height to which the player is taken?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Whilst 10 mins into your 1st match of WRWC is a big stage for any referee , I was slightly surprised to hear " I think I've got it, let me know if you think its too harsh, I'm gonna go red"

I don't think x2RC's would've been too harsh !!

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Plaquage (en) cathédrale in French. According to the Wikipedia article, it is a reference to the height the player is lifted.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Seems from the French subtitle that the French term this sort of tackle a "cathedral". Can any of our French-speaking colleagues explain the origin of that term? Is it just the height to which the player is taken?

It may well be it. It's also called "soleil" (sun). Some regional variants are -in Toulouse- "monter le Capitole" (going up the Capitole, the town hall) or -in the catalonian-heritage of the Perpignan area- "monter le Canigou" (being le Pic du Canigou a mountain quite symbolic).

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So here's a weird question...If she had gone so far past vertical that the player landed on her hip/side, what would you think the appropriate action would be?

That question being asked, I re-watched it a few times earlier today and a few days ago, and it looks like the majority of the damage was done by the samoan player's knee landing on her head. The RC and ban are justified. It was reckless and unnecessary.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
So here's a weird question...If she had gone so far past vertical that the player landed on her hip/side, what would you think the appropriate action would be?

She'd have to be C&O'ly in control of the ball carrier to escape a 10.4(e) RC ..... Unlikely I'd say.

I guess if she was lifted and then as she fell the tackler realised the danger and swung her like a pendulum by her knees and then dropped her to the to ground on her side it might get a YC , if she did a 360° and landed on her feet then not even a PK , but this is getting rather theoretical .......

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Plaquage (en) cathédrale in French. According to the Wikipedia article, it is a reference to the height the player is lifted.

I believe it comes from the days of boys only boarding schools where, at night, we use to lift one's bed "en cathédrale":
It's basically lifting up the feet of the bed so that it rests vertical on its headboard with the poor fellow stuck tuck in hi bed with his head down and feet up.
The reference to the Cathedral is clearly linked to the spiers of the building (the bed) while the poor fellow sliding out of his bed on the floor completes resemblance with the rest of the building...

Feet up, head down... Spear tackle... Or should I say Spier tackle ;-)

Cheers,
Pierre.

viper492

Post Likes
I guess if she was lifted and then as she fell the tackler realised the danger and swung her like a pendulum by her knees and then dropped her to the to ground on her side it might get a YC , if she did a 360° and landed on her feet then not even a PK , but this is getting rather theoretical .......

Browner, even if the player was still brought around 360° I would still go to at least YC (and be considering RC still) for the extremely dangerous position that the player was brought through although they may not have made contact to the ground in a dangerous position. I know it was just a theoretical but I feel it's still extremely dangerous and, I know I'm going into another theoretical but... I'm 99% sure that's why we have been instructed, at least here in Australia, that any tackle where the legs go above the horizontal should be YC at a minimum for putting the player into such a dangerous position.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Browner, even if the player was still brought around 360° I would still go to at least YC (and be considering RC still) for the extremely dangerous position that the player was brought through although they may not have made contact to the ground in a dangerous position. I know it was just a theoretical but I feel it's still extremely dangerous and, I know I'm going into another theoretical but... I'm 99% sure that's why we have been instructed, at least here in Australia, that any tackle where the legs go above the horizontal should be YC at a minimum for putting the player into such a dangerous position.

That brings you back to " potentially dangerous v actually dangerous" & that me ol mucker, is another thread entirely. :-!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I believe it comes from the days of boys only boarding schools where, at night, we use to lift one's bed "en cathédrale":
It's basically lifting up the feet of the bed so that it rests vertical on its headboard with the poor fellow stuck tuck in hi bed with his head down and feet up.
The reference to the Cathedral is clearly linked to the spiers of the building (the bed) while the poor fellow sliding out of his bed on the floor completes resemblance with the rest of the building...

Feet up, head down... Spear tackle... Or should I say Spier tackle ;-)

Cheers,
Pierre.

Jeepers, what a jape you can have at boarding school, any other activities we can chuckle at?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I guess if she was lifted and then as she fell the tackler realised the danger and swung her like a pendulum by her knees and then dropped her to the to ground on her side it might get a YC , if she did a 360° and landed on her feet then not even a PK , but this is getting rather theoretical .......
Nothing wrong with theoretical questions.

IMO that would be a PK and a YC as the tackler did have "regard to the players safety".

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That brings you back to " potentially dangerous v actually dangerous" & that me ol mucker, is another thread entirely. :-!

You keep using that word "dangerous", amigo, but it doesn't mean what you think it means...

What's the practical difference between "potentially potentially harmful", and "actually potentially harmful", other than tautology?

viper492

Post Likes

I'm pretty sure there's one somewhere already ;) but to me (seemingly as to RobLev as well) they are one and the same, the only difference is one bloke got lucky and the other didn't - it's the difference between throwing a punch and connecting and throwing a punch and missing... But let's save this for another thread eh?

Edit: I believe there's a fair bit of that discussion in here
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?17894-Jumping-the-tackler

Last edited: