Taking a dive - Toulose v Bath

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
43 mins into the game Watson clears a kick through and is tackled into touch, high tackle on the floor (another discussion maybe), but then Yoann Huget appreas (him of the Mike Brown head butt), he is seen to be pushed in the shoulder by Agulla at which point he falls to the floor holding his face :wow:

GC goes to the TMO and give a PK to Bath for the high tackle on Watson on the floor and there is no further mention of the Huget v Agulla incident. what would you have done if anything?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Been watching it this morning.

I thought the high tackle by Flood (more of a dangerous round the neck tackle, since the injured player was lying on the floor) deserved a YC, because he nearly took his head off. :noyc:

I also thought the play acting, seen very clearly on the big screens, deserved a YC. It was the worst kind of "football" play acting. Acts contrary to good sportmanship. :noyc:

Just can't imagine Clancy giving a team two yellows in one go though!

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
but he didn't give either a YC!

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Any footage of this?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have the footage clipped at home. Give me 45 mins and I'll be back and upload it. Thought it was diagraceful!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
its all over the usual social media sites

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Been watching it this morning.

I thought the high tackle by Flood (more of a dangerous round the neck tackle, since the injured player was lying on the floor) deserved a YC, because he nearly took his head off. :noyc:

I also thought the play acting, seen very clearly on the big screens, deserved a YC. It was the worst kind of "football" play acting. Acts contrary to good sportmanship. :noyc:

Just can't imagine Clancy giving a team two yellows in one go though!

I'd be tempted for red in both cases. Flood nearly took the head off a tackled player and left Watson unconscious. For Watson this was the second time in the game he'd been knocked out! So much for increased awareness surrounding the dangers of concussion.

Huget's dive was just shameful.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Video not available in your location :mad:

Here's one we can all view

Here was a missed opportunity for the referee to send a strong message that this kind of reprehensible behaviour will not be tolerated in our game.

If I saw a player do that in a game I was refereeing then, provided I was 100% that he took a dive, he would get :norc: and I would be prepared to justify that at the judiciary hearing. Bringing the game into disrepute is a RC offence (Ashton/Tulilagi hairpulling - Ashton got 4 weeks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...hton-gets-week-ban-Alesana-Tuilagi-brawl.html

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
lets see if the citing dude is up for it

Alastair

Post Likes
Penalising the dive

I write following the dive by Toulouse's Huget at the weekend and the subsequent discussion amongst commentators. I thought there was something in the laws about sportsmanship and that would be sufficient to allow refs to penalise a dive.... But I couldn't find it

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Re: Penalising the dive

what you want is 10.4 (m)
[LAWS]10.4 (m) [FONT=fs_blakeregular]Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. [/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular]A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure.[/FONT][/LAWS]

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
the meeting is one thing, but related to the OP.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30893127

Day, who also wants players to be consulted around some of the game's key issues, such as the scrum, has demanded a zero-tolerance policy towards diving, which has gradually crept into the sport over the past couple of seasons.

His remarks come after the Toulouse wing Yoann Huget apologised for play-acting in the defeat by Bath in the European Champions Cup last weekend.

Alastair

Post Likes
Re: Penalising the dive

10.4 is enough for me, thank you

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
the meeting is one thing, but related to the OP.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30893127

Day, who also wants players to be consulted around some of the game's key issues, such as the scrum, has demanded a zero-tolerance policy towards diving, which has gradually crept into the sport over the past couple of seasons.

His remarks come after the Toulouse wing Yoann Huget apologised for play-acting in the defeat by Bath in the European Champions Cup last weekend.

Hugets apology is merely an 'advised' post match sanction avoidance strategy, and should be ignored.

Ban him, send the whole sport a message, he blatently attempted to get an opponent into hot water , non non non :nono:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Toulouse wing Yoann Huget has received a formal warning for feigning injury during his team's European Champions Cup defeat against Bath on Sunday.

European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) said the warning was issued by match citing commissioner John Charles.

In a statement, EPCR said it followed "an act contrary to good sportsmanship".

France international Huget, 27, was seen to perform a dive in an attempt to gain a penalty for foul play.

Players who accumulate three citing warnings or three yellow card offences for foul play - or a combination of both - during the Champions Cup and European Challenge Cup competitions will be required to attend a disciplinary hearing.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
A missed opportunity, shame.

Interesting that it only carries the same totting up value as a YC.