[Law] Tech zone question

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Bit of guidance needed.

3 people allowed in the tech zones , everyone else outside the ropes. That's the regulation in our neck of the woods.

I was was running the line for my son who was reffing his first competitive game so was mindful of keeping them out of his hair so to speak.

They ( the coaches) wandered up and down a little bit, coaching their teams and I would politely send them back to the zone if they were pushing it a bit. No major problems or issues.

On one occasion I asked a coach to go back to the zone and all he did was go outside the ropes.

Now my my question is , can the coach be behind the ropes and then be in the tech zone when it suits him, or is it either or but not both.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It may depend on your local rules, but I see no problem. If he is behind the ropes he is just another (loud-mouthed?) spectator with no special privileges.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
But do you then allow him to go back to the tech zone and assume those privileges again ?

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
First of all, congratulations to your son!

Secondly, coaches should not - as I understand it - be in a tech zone at all. I can't find letter let alone law, but three sounds like two water /tee carriers and a physio.

As a player, I never had coaches coach during the match; this is a modern trend.

As a referee, despite the modern trend, I have no issue with coaches being loud from wherever they want as long as it is not in the field of play (we don't have ropes in NL, but at my own club spectators do stay behind fence).

As a coach, I used to yell to my new players (all 15 of them) until I realised it helped not a bit.

As a touch judge, anybody on the actual line, and also the 1m from it, can be extremely annoying, and it tends to be loud coaches that I will run into, so I can see where you are coming from.

This is all the more annoying when you are not just a TJ, but also a qualified AR and referee.

To cut a long story short: coaches belong behind your ropes, IMO. Let them yell what they want, as long as it isn't abusive to referee or yourself of course.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think in this instance you were doing well to get the Coach to move behind the rope give that you were not an appointed TJ. As a volunteer TJ you really have no authority whatsoever to direct any Coach etc to do anything. If I were an appointed TJ I would be happy for any designated person to leave the tech area and move outside the enclosure and later return.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
This came up on Rolling-maul.com

NCA reg 8.1 which references RFU reg 13.7 covers this.
To paraphrase no more than four persons, including doctor or physio and up to 4 water carriers are allowed in the technical area. They may only enter the playing area when invited to do so by the ref and must return to the technical area at all other itmes All other non-players, including coaches and substitutes must be behind the barriers.

I think this must be one of the most flouted regulations in sport.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The coach could be a water carrier?
Or the First Aider?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This came up on Rolling-maul.com

NCA reg 8.1 which references RFU reg 13.7 covers this.
To paraphrase no more than four persons, including doctor or physio and up to 4 water carriers are allowed in the technical area. They may only enter the playing area when invited to do so by the ref and must return to the technical area at all other itmes All other non-players, including coaches and substitutes must be behind the barriers.

I think this must be one of the most flouted regulations in sport.

surely its general practice in all levels that the Doctor/Physio has the right to come on the pitch without waiting for an invitation from the referee.