That ball is apparently still in the ruck.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
https://youtu.be/F02lv57wPoY?t=1770

Three questions spring to mind

1. Without referring to seagulls, how far beyond the back foot of the last player in a ruck does a ball have to be before it is out?
2. How long can a scrum half keep his hand on a ball despite it being beyond the back foot of the last player in a ruck without playing it and it is still deemed to be in the ruck?
3. How the heck are players supposed to be able to interprete the answer to the first two questions and be able to compete for the ball?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Bottom line as I see it is World Rugby don't want competition for the ball in that scenario. Get the ball away from the breakdown and get on with it. Have to say I agree to some extent as things could get messy very fast if 50/50 in or outs were being allowed to be contested.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I agree the ball is out, but Itoje failed to clearly step back when the Welsh shove the ruck forward and the ball is still in at that point.
The ref pinged him for always offside.
But agree it was a tight call. I think he does take half a step back - but needed to sell it better to the ref, especailly as he had infringed before.

Itoje is operating as a back row forward, even though he wears 4. They have to be on the offside line, or may as well not play.
There is the old joke. "When is Neil Back offside? Whenever he is breathing." I am sure it applied to earlier exponents.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
pause the video at game time 27:13. Ball has emerged from ruck but Itoje is in front of his offside line. He would need to retire a step to be able to compete. A tight call as others have said.

Last edited:

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The number of games where I came off hoarse after 80 minutes of shouting 'Back foot!'. While defences continue to improve, especially at international level, I wish referees would enforce offside lines more strictly. IMHO it's a major reason why there are so few line breaks and much stalemate epitomised by caterpillars and box kicks. #rantover

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The offside was not against 8, it was against 4 who was offside before the ball emerged from the ruck.

I think in this case it’s clear the ball is out. The offside was not given for advancing after the ball had emerged from the back foot but for being offside before this happened.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
pause the video at game time 27:13. Ball has emerged from ruck but Itoje is in front of his offside line. He would need to retire a step to be able to compete. A tight call as others have said.
No have to disagree with that, at 27:10 the Welsh scrum half has already got his hands on the ball and then the Welsh counter ruck he is left outside the ruck at 27:12 he rolls it forward back into the ruck, which is why Billy V went for it.

Its all done and dusted by 27:13!