[Line out] The old unconctested maul chestnut. Did I get this right ?

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
That would be leaving the lineout, so they can't

We were told ,,that if the ball goes to back ,,as others have said ,,tell them to use it .
Also if ball is at back ,,opposition are quite entitled to come around & tackle the ball carrier at the back of the non maul . Providing they had started after the ball has gone to back ..
They are allowed to tackle the ball carrier ,,they cant go around if ball is at front ,,as that would be off side ..( even if the ball ends up at back afterwards )
Often seen it happen & reffed same .

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think this is a great question.
Here it is again
. Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
Someone asked me about this tactic at a recent game, they said they would not engage the ‘maul’ but come round to tackle the bc athe rear of the group of attaching players..

Oddly enough I was asked exactly the same question earlier this season

Is it a thing ?

I would be interested in other people views ?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
We were told ,,that if the ball goes to back ,,as others have said ,,tell them to use it .
Also if ball is at back, opposition are quite entitled to come around & tackle the ball carrier at the back of the non maul . Providing they had started after the ball has gone to back.
This bit is confusing me Christy.

If the ball is handed from the front of the LO and ends up at the back of the "non maul" and we call "use it" then surely the team in possession have 5 seconds to get the ball away - so I can't see how the opposition can come around to tackle the ball carrier or to go for the ball. Doesn't the "use it" give the team in possession a 5 second period of protection to get it away? :chin:

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
This bit is confusing me Christy.

If the ball is handed from the front of the LO and ends up at the back of the "non maul" and we call "use it" then surely the team in possession have 5 seconds to get the ball away - so I can't see how the opposition can come around to tackle the ball carrier or to go for the ball. Doesn't the "use it" give the team in possession a 5 second period of protection to get it away? :chin:

Hi taff .
Yes they are given 5 seconds to use it or loose it ,,as in scrum to opposition .
But its not a window of protection that they cant be tackled .
The use it call , is really the referees opportunity to try & keep the game flowing & to not award an immediate penalty for obstruction .. which is how it used to be refereed .

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The question is .. is the lineout over ?
If it's not over then they do indeed enjoy 5s of protection

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The question is .. is the lineout over ?
If it's not over then they do indeed enjoy 5s of protection

If the ball carrier keeps the ball at the front of maul formation .
And he is tacked straight away .
We would deem the line out over .
He has no 5 seconds of protection either .

So why would he , if he at back ..

I have never heard of the use it or loose it call , a way to protect the ball carrier at the back of a maul type formation ..its simply use it or you will be penalised ..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In an ordinary ruck, a call of use it doesn't end the ruck , a call of use it doesn't allow the other team to come round .. as the ruck is still there , so they would be offside

Similarly here, if it's still a lineout they can't come roind

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In an ordinary ruck, a call of use it doesn't end the ruck , a call of use it doesn't allow the other team to come round .. as the ruck is still there , so they would be offside

Similarly here, if it's still a lineout they can't come roind

But thats not relevant here .
Because its not a ruck or a maul ...
Why is it still a line out .
The ball has left the tunnel , its been touched , or caught in this case & purpousely moved away from line of touch . ..& the ball carrier has been tackled , by a player who was previously on side .

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I’m interested in the comments about ‘use it’ and a 5 second window. I know that applies to a maul or a ruck, but in guidance given on this non maul situation from WR I recall the use it had to be immediate. Would this change your view on whether the opposition could come round and tackle?

I think the answer should be no, mainly as the LO is not over so they’d be offside, and if the LO is over (I.e. the ball has gone through the LOT) the attacking team have offended and I’d award a scrum before the tackle anyway.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Everyone understands 'use it' to give you 5s

to unilaterally impose a different time would be a bit of a gotcha