The Right To Reply

BillBu

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Last weekend I refereed a match between two second teams in a merit table affair. Unfortunately one of the captains had no clue on the laws of the game, which became obvious during the match.

Now normally I don't post much but I thought id post an extract from the match report on the teams website.

The second half started as promising as the first half but again against the run of play [Opposition Team] broke out and scored a full length try. With [This team] in stunned mode concentration lapsed and from the kick off [Opposition Team] broke out and with poor tackling saw score another try. With [This team]being a point down got a rallying cry from captain [player] got [This team]playing forward rugby again and with a penalty ten metres out they opted to for a scrum. [This team] was winning every scrum so wasn’t supprising [Opposition Team] was pushed back over their own line then with their forwards buckling under the immense pressure the front row stood up. With the referee blowing [This team]thought they had a penalty try only for the referee to award another scrum back in the twenty metre. When asked what the decision was for the referee then decided to give the opposition a penalty. By this time [This team]was getting a lot of questionable decisions by the referee which resulted in [Opposition Team] score another try and penalty. With time running out a last call for pressure paid off with great tackling by the new centre pairing of [player] and [player] allowed the forwards to regain some pride with another thirty metre rolling allowed the young [player] to score another well worked try.

I had to have a giggle at the references to myself and especially how they described the situation.

1)
[This team] was winning every scrum so wasn’t supprising [Opposition Team] was pushed back over their own line then with their forwards buckling under the immense pressure the front row stood up.
The scrum in question was around 15 meters out from the try line and got pushed around 5 meters (nowhere near the try line!). At this point it broke up at the front on the opposite side from where I was standing. For safety I blew up and awaded the scrum from where it was originally awarded. This was the first time the scrum had broken up all match.
2)
When asked what the decision was for the referee then decided to give the opposition a penalty.
Its funny what they called "when asked" when I call it persistant aggressive questioning after I had told the player in question to be quiet at least 3 times.
3)
By this time [This team]was getting a lot of questionable decisions by the referee which resulted in [Opposition Team] score another try and penalty.
The decisions were all standard and nothing out of the ordinary! The fact of the matter is that the Opposition team decided to get on with the game and played very well in the second half, no questioning when penalties given against them. In fact I was congratulated after the match by the opposition team for being consistent throughout.

The funniest part of the whole match must have been when [This team] scored a pushover try when I was playing advantage for the defending players not being back 10 metres. When getting up from scoring, the same player from before asked me why I didn't give a penalty try for the opposition not being back 10... you just scored!... the offense being commited around 12 - 15 meters out with the full team (apart from the offender) being back ten and ready to defend :confused:

Its funny how stories can be "twisted" to the writer! Ill never read a newspaper again :biggrin:

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's easy to tell when a jounalist (or a politician) is lying.
1 - They open there mouths and noise comes out
2 - They write something down
From personal experience!!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I know it's probably not want you want to hear but don't read match reports. The often share no link to the reality of the game as they are written by some one eyed gimp at the club. I can name at least one Yorkshire based club that blames their losses on the ref every week.

Though saying that, every time I went there I was always keen to ask what they felt aggrieved by. Brush it off and forget it. They haven't said anything libel so nothing to worry about.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
when you start out match reports are a rare treasure; you are thrilled to see a report on a game you reffed. Then you read one wear you go "Eh? Were they even watching the same game?" and then you remember that you are the only non-partisan person at the game. and then you stop reading them.

BillBu

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
i havent taken any of it personally and actually find it rather amusing :biggrin:

funnily enough after the "penalty try" appeal, i actually awarded one today :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I had one match report removed from a cubs website and a written apology from the clubs Chairman.

There are limits.

There are protocols and codes of conduct for club match reports, just the same as there are for spectators, players and coaches.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
There are protocols and codes of conduct for club match reports,

And, if it comes to it laws of libel and defamation - things writ on the internet are subject to the same laws as things writ in a newspaper.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"Writ" being the appropriate word!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The funniest part of the whole match must have been when [This team] scored a pushover try when I was playing advantage for the defending players not being back 10 metres. When getting up from scoring, the same player from before asked me why I didn't give a penalty try for the opposition not being back 10... you just scored!... the offense being commited around 12 - 15 meters out with the full team (apart from the offender) being back ten and ready to defend :confused:

:chin: because they only have to be back 5m and not 10m:wink: