These "high tackle" calls are becoming a joke

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thank god I've given refereeing away.

If we are going to send off tacklers for making incidental shoulder contact to the head we should be sending off ball carriers for dropping their shoulders too.

Georgia v Uruguay 75th minute both hit each other

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Rugby is a collision sport, these laws are attempting to reduce the impact, but unfortunately it is not going to work.
Reducing the tackle height will simply change the nature of the injuries. Tacklers will probably start to get more knees to the head going in at waist high. How will that help resolve concussion issues.

Guardian article
For example, rugby is a mauling game and that involves low-impact contact with the upper body, which is safe, even if it would fall foul of a lower threshold for a high tackle. Similarly, when a prop forward is charging at the try line with his head a few inches off the ground, there is no way to stop him other than by meeting him head on.

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Thank god I've given refereeing away.

If we are going to send off tacklers for making incidental shoulder contact to the head we should be sending off ball carriers for dropping their shoulders too.

Georgia v Uruguay 75th minute both hit each other
Agreed. I don't believe that should be a RC. The ball carrier was knocked to the side by the first tackler and it threw the tackler off. No doubt Barnes will be praised for following protocol, but I think that was ridiculous.

I also do not believe the TMO should be able to bring play back after a PK has been kicked to touch. It should be too late at that stage to review anything.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I’d rather things go a little too far with strong encore emend which can be rolled back if required than continue with the present continual use of high tackles,’shoulder charges, forearm leads and no arm tackles. It’s dangerous, can lead to serious injury and needs stamping out of the game hard. If that means 12 a side whilst teams adjust, so be it.

Despite the above statement I’m still for sensible refereeing, the point about a prop diving for the line is a good one and I’m unlikely to penalize any incidental head contact. But there is too much illegal tackling with the aim of dominating and in some case harming players and we as referees must stop it.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I’d rather things go a little too far with strong encore emend which can be rolled back if required than continue with the present continual use of high tackles,’shoulder charges, forearm leads and no arm tackles. It’s dangerous, can lead to serious injury and needs stamping out of the game hard. If that means 12 a side whilst teams adjust, so be it.

Despite the above statement I’m still for sensible refereeing, the point about a prop diving for the line is a good one and I’m unlikely to penalize any incidental head contact. But there is too much illegal tackling with the aim of dominating and in some case harming players and we as referees must stop it.

100% this.