through the gate "backwards"

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
FWIW, my view is that "at or near a tackle" is important. Thus it is OK to be blocking a potential pass if you are not near the tackle, but the way I look at it is that anyone at or near a tackle is looking to play the ball. If they don't want to play the ball then keep enough distance. So in the OP, I would not be OK with the defender running back over the tackle and claiming it was OK as he was not playing the ball.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
How about another scenario:
Blue get tackled, Red comes in to Jackle. The blue player who is running back now clears out the red jackler from the "wrong" side. He hasn't entered the tackle area through the gate, but he isn't playing the ball either, so according to the law it is play on? And until he binds on to the red player it isn't a ruck, so he hasn't entered the ruck from the wrong side either.

I'm PK'ing Blue for incorrect entry here. And that is entirely consistent with the potential PK in the original scenario - entering tackle zone from the wrong side (not through gate).

So you are saying that a blue defender cannot tackle a red ball carrier if red is a jackler and blue is retreating?

didds

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Blue is in the Tackle Zone - so that is near the ball (law requires "close around the ball") - near enough for red to clear out the tackle zone (i.e. push Blue) or form a ruck.

You may say the law says this or that, but anyone entering the tackle zone (and we are only talking about the tackle zone here - not the 9-10 channel etc) - is in my book entering to either play the ball, or impact the playing of the ball. So they are liable to be pinged.

How about another scenario:
Blue get tackled, Red comes in to Jackle. The blue player who is running back now clears out the red jackler from the "wrong" side. He hasn't entered the tackle area through the gate, but he isn't playing the ball either, so according to the law it is play on? And until he binds on to the red player it isn't a ruck, so he hasn't entered the ruck from the wrong side either.

I'm PK'ing Blue for incorrect entry here. And that is entirely consistent with the potential PK in the original scenario - entering tackle zone from the wrong side (not through gate).

Well, if Blue is in the tackle zone and obstructing, then it follows that he can be played - and of course he will be obstructing (or at least liable to be cleared out of the way) if he simply stands over the ball. But I was replying to Dave's comment which expressly had Blue not obstructing.

As for your second scenario - if Red has the ball, he's not a jackler any more - he's the ball-carrier, and liable to be tackled. Blue is tackling him, so there's no ruck to enter incorrectly.

Having said all of that, of the three videos illustrating Law 15.6(d), the first two show players being penalised for forming a ruck from the side...

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Lets assume in my scenario the red jackler has not yet actually gained possession of the ball. The tackle is not over. Would you let Blue clear him out from the wrong side?

Obviously if the Jackler has picked up the ball, the tackle is over. We are taking about the situation when the tackle is NOT over. Would you let Blue clear out the tackle area from the Red side of the tackle? (i.e. not "through his own gate")

I would not. In the tackle area - you are there due to the ball. So enter through the gate. There is no excuse for running back through the tackle area - it is always possible to not do this - even just stop, or go sideways. Anyone entering the tackle area should do so through the gate.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Lets assume in my scenario the red jackler has not yet actually gained possession of the ball. The tackle is not over. Would you let Blue clear him out from the wrong side?

Obviously if the Jackler has picked up the ball, the tackle is over. We are taking about the situation when the tackle is NOT over. Would you let Blue clear out the tackle area from the Red side of the tackle? (i.e. not "through his own gate")

I would not. In the tackle area - you are there due to the ball. So enter through the gate. There is no excuse for running back through the tackle area - it is always possible to not do this - even just stop, or go sideways. Anyone entering the tackle area should do so through the gate.
I agree.

The sophistry about needing to intend to play the ball leads to chaos. Surely the only sensible interpretation (albeit forced at times) is to assume that anybody entering the tackle area does so to play the ball.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I agree.

The sophistry about needing to intend to play the ball leads to chaos.

Surely the only sensible interpretation (albeit forced at times) is to assume that anybody entering the tackle area does so to play the ball.

Or.... as per the RP clip, to block/slow opposition progress.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
red attacking is tackled by blue.

another blue following play and running towards his own goal line but "in front" of the ball[1] and tackler approaches the tackle and runs straight over the tackled player and ball - he does NOT make any attempt to play the ball or touch the tackled player.

all OK?

didds

[1] ball is between him and his own goal line.

Penalty advantage red for blue player incorrect entry and see what happens next. No advantage, then PK to red.