Tidbits and ideas

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Thought it might be interesting to have a thread where people share little things they have picked up from others (whether showbiz, panel level or grassroots, or anywhere inbetween) which they like and might look to incorporate or use. Could be a specific position, or a phrase used by a ref either during play or during downtime - anything really. Discussing the merits or otherwise of each idea may take us down quite a few rabbit-holes, so up to others if that is where they want to go, but I'd probably choose just to stick to the tidbits and ideas we pick up. Starter for 10: I liked Wayne Barnes' repeated used of the phrase "both shoulders" to the looseheads in the Sale v Exeter game (said prior to the CBS routine) as a way helping the looseheads at least start square.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
From a conversation with a Premiership ref a week ago. In an international when one of the captains was in his ear a lot he just kept saying:

"Thanks mate, I'll have a look".......and he said it time and time again........

He didn't really, but it gave the idea of being gracious and taking it on board

The Pr Ref said after 20 minutes he had the Welsh skipper Gareth Thomas (who it was) eating out of his hand.

I used the phrase on Saturday and everything was quiet after that.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I've been practising, via my mirror " the look" that SW gives from time to time when a TMO or AR is trying to divert him with 'immateriality'.

I plan to use it the next time an assessor mentions my boots colour, or something equally banale

Dave Sherwin

Post Likes
I've been practising, via my mirror " the look" that SW gives from time to time when a TMO or AR is trying to divert him with 'immateriality'.

I plan to use it the next time an assessor mentions my boots colour, or something equally banale
Can we an example (his or yours!)?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
A ref told me; when whistling for an infringement use the "third person", not the second, so don't say, "You, no. 7, not releasing" instead don't look at the player as you whistle and signal, then just say "Blue No 7, not releasing" not even making eye contact with the player. This takes any kind of onus off the player to engage in a conversation / rebuttal with you. It does work.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
like this but without the tie:

View attachment 3128[/QUOTE
default.jpg
1200-steve-walsh.jpg
]
images
now I come to think of it, he has many faces of "I'm tying to listen"

Last edited:

Dave Sherwin

Post Likes
Didn't like an awful lot about Matt Carley's game at Quins v Falcons, but I will take away the phrase "he survived the clearout" as shorthand for confirming that the jackler kept his hands on the ball throughout the attempts to dislodge/move him.