[Law] Time Expired + PK/Lineout?

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Encountered this in my game last Saturday, and wondered what the brains here would advise.

PK for red after time expires - captain asks if they can kick for the lineout - yes. They take possession at the throw-in, and play continues as they press to score. Another PK (and YC) to same team - can they have another lineout? If so, is there any limit on number of times this can happen? And if there's a PK the other way, can blue also kick for a lineout?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Encountered this in my game last Saturday, and wondered what the brains here would advise.

PK for red after time expires - captain asks if they can kick for the lineout - yes. They take possession at the throw-in, and play continues as they press to score. Another PK (and YC) to same team - can they have another lineout? If so, is there any limit on number of times this can happen? And if there's a PK the other way, can blue also kick for a lineout?

No, there is no limit. And Blue can do likewise (although I would expect the team in the lead to take a tap then boot the ball into the crowd).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Nigib
I am interested in why you would think there is a chance that repeated penalties after time cannot keep going for touch?
Have you read or heard something that suggests this may be the case, as it has never occurred to me that teams couldn't keep going for touch?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

Yes they can have another lineout.
No there is no limit on the number of times this can happen - at least until you have sent so many players off the field that the opposition cannot field a team (think that is 6) but what have they been doing if they cannot score in all that time?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I do like this change.

Very good for 'focusing the mind' on discipline in injury time.

I'm sure I've seen far less penalties conceded by winning teams in their oppositions' half than last season.

When two penalties might give the opposition 20 metres and two more bites at the cherry it was far less of a deterrent than up to 80 metres and an attacking lineout!

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Nigib
I am interested in why you would think there is a chance that repeated penalties after time cannot keep going for touch?
Have you read or heard something that suggests this may be the case, as it has never occurred to me that teams couldn't keep going for touch?

As I blew for the second penalty I realised I'd not thought about having another situation like this in the same game. I couldn't think of a reason not to let it happen, so we carried on. Thought I'd check with the 'hive mind' on this site. The score was 10-10, and a cup game. If it finished with that score, the away team would go through as they'd scored two tries to one. The second lineout played out across the pitch to another penalty with no advantage, which the home team kicked.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thought I'd check with the 'hive mind' on this site.

Came looking for honey, but only got stung. Let that bee a lesson t' ye not to drone on :)