[Law] Toby Flood Red card: Any thoughts?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If rucking the man and not for the ball has been outlawed, then of course appropriate.

No point arguing that a penalty should have been awarded for not rolling away, it would have ended up as a penalty reversal anyway.

Leaving his feet has hardly helped him!

Nickorando

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Apologies, original post edited to point at the YouTube version.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sanction was spot on, look at the reverse angle.
First he drops his knees into the prone player, then he boots him in the face twice.

In line with the latest directives it's a straight red for dangerous contact with the head.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Direct contact with the head, with force = RC

I don't see any problem with that decision, although to took me a few views (and the correct angle) to see it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Direct contact with the head, with force = RC

Direct contact = yes
With force = yes

Only question in my mind - was it reckless or deliberate?

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Direct contact = yes
With force = yes

Only question in my mind - was it reckless or deliberate?

Agree. From his reaction, reckless rather than deliberate. But time should be added to the ban FOR the reaction - what does he think this is? The round ball game? :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks deliberate to me red all the way

yeah maybe. Rucking of player on ground certainly deliberate but not sure he targetted the head. I have no argument with a RC but if it had been yellow I wouldn't have been surprised.

UpandUnder

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
If we ignore the foul play, why didn't the ref give a penalty for not rolling away. The tackler is clearly in the way of arriving players and makes no attempt to roll.

If this has been a trend in the game it often rises players frustrations and you get a result like this.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If we ignore the foul play, why didn't the ref give a penalty for not rolling away. The tackler is clearly in the way of arriving players and makes no attempt to roll.

If this has been a trend in the game it often rises players frustrations and you get a result like this.

Ignoring the foul play, yes it could easily have been a penalty.

But then there was foul play which could not be ignored and would have been a penalty reversal.

Flood shouldn't have done it and channelled his energies into alerting the ref rather than piling in regardless. A clever scrum half would have made sure the referee hadn't missed it!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

A fair point that you raise UpandUnder.

It may well be that the referee was already verbalising that there was a PK advantage coming for the player not clearing the tackle zone in a timely manner, the referee was pausing (the phrase is "Let it Breathe") to see what material effect the actions of the defending player are having on the options for the attacking team.

Not withstanding the fact that Flood will have known that under any circumstances that you do not take the Law into your own hands and you certainly don't make contact with the body of a prone player with the boot.

Granted that at the lower levels you would look to signal and verbalise advantage quicker so that you prevent player frustrations getting out of hand.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Perhaps Toby Flood was unbalanced, he wouldn't be the first player to claim that misfortune .

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Straight RC for two offences, dropping the knee into the player's back before rucking the same player's face. Now add some time to the ban for his reaction to the RC and his continued chat towards the ref as he makes his way from the field.