Too many resets - prop mismatch

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
If I penalise the weaker prop, I won't have another stable scrum all game. The stronger prop has absolutely no incentive to "dominate but not destroy". In fact he has a fairly strong incentive to destroy.

If I penalise the stronger prop, I have a chance at stable scrums. However, as Phil says, winning the contest is what the game is all about, and this fellow is not doing it illegally.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Law 20.8 (i)

Lifting or forcing an opponent up.
A front row player must not lift an opponent in the air,

or force an opponent upwards out of the scrum, either when the ball is being thrown in or
afterwards. This is dangerous play.

This does not say it is OK if you are the stronger player. It says it is dangerous play to abuse the situation.

The fresh prop may not have realised just how easy it would be to lift his opponent, and I would certainly suggest looking to see if he backed off as soon as he realised he was lifting dangerously. However a penalty reinforces the point pretty well.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
But what does a prop achieve by sticking his oppo in the air, other than banging his chest!:chin:

There is no gain in doing it, shoving his oppo off the ball at will gives a far greater advantage!

And lets face it the local sports centre sports fields aren't twickers!

I've played in enough teams to know what to do with dominence and i know what i'd prefer;)

and Will you're right the L12 prop was out on his feet, but that's no excuse for a very experienced prop to give him a flying lesson:nono:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If you get under and up, its easier to go forward ;)

but there's a difference between being in a dominent position and an illegal position.

I have no issue with a team stuffin another up front, but they need to know when and how to use it!:clap:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
No, you should reward dominance in the scrum. That's what it's all about.

Agreed - up to the point where the scrum becomes dangerous, at which point the option to go uncontested is always there, and may well be a necessary step.

As I said before, the dominant scrum then lose their advanatge completely. It may be in their interests to help you avoid having to insist on uncontested scrums.

Will.Q

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can subscribe to telling the dominant prop to keep the opposite number on the ground. If he goes up again and you are sure he has done it with intent, then yes I'll ping him.

I can't subscribe to pinging the dominant prop, at the first time of asking, unless I am 100% sure he has done it with intent. I simply will not de-stabilise a dominant scrum unless I have good reason to do so.

I am with BFG - dominate but don't destroy. But that is on my terms and not the prop's. He is not having a free licence to dominate if it makes a meal of the scrum and refereeing it.