[Law] Toulouse red card.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Quick Video : https://youtu.be/1RP8yIMMh7A

Luke Pearce ( who had a brilliant game BTW ) took his time and reviewed many times before issuing a red card. I agreed with this decision.

However, I was interested in the Flats and Shanks ( David Flatman and Tom Shanklin ) podcast this week.
They imply that the red card was too harsh as there was enough mitigation in that the ball-carrier dipped and lowered his head height at the last minute.
I can now see what they mean but not quite sure if its enough.
My thought being - What would you expect a ball carrier to do ? Other than to lean into the tackle !.

Just interested if anyone would downgrade this to a yellow.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Nope. He was already aiming for the shoulders and driving up. It's a risk you take with that technique, worked out badly for tackler and tacklee. BC only drops a few inches anyway, not like he fell forwards into it.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
First time I've seen it, and totally agree with Luke's explanation.

He started high and it went higher, meaning there was no mitigation

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I thought there was a bit of a dip, but nothing sufficient, and as another podcast said who runs bolt upright into contact? If I saw that in one shot with no AR’s it’s Red, Luke tried to mitigate and I don’t disagree with him, players need to adjust.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Spot on decision, and a flawless process

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not sure how anyone can argue that isn't a RC under the current guidelines.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not sure how anyone can argue that isn't a RC under the current guidelines.

I could have some empathy that it might get missed because it didn't hit the "clear and obvious" on first look. By the OP footage the ref didnt put arm out for advantage nor blow at least PK straight away, and the AR didn't flinch and hang out his flag or look to press his comms?
Was it only the slow mo replays that Pearce got the offence ...and what made him refer to TMO?

(But no issue with RC from the super slo mo replays!)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Quick Video : https://youtu.be/1RP8yIMMh7A

Luke Pearce ( who had a brilliant game BTW ) took his time and reviewed many times before issuing a red card. I agreed with this decision.

However, I was interested in the Flats and Shanks ( David Flatman and Tom Shanklin ) podcast this week.
They imply that the red card was too harsh

That's all I need to read to agree with the referee. Tom Shanklin is a terrible pundit. And a terrible after dinner speaker too (You have been warned!). He does not bother to keep up with the laws. and bit like a Stuart Barmes "Lite".

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Will Greenwood was also scathing about the decision on his podcast. RC for me though.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is their opinion expressed around the basis of the decision or the correctness/appropriateness of the laws.

The two are something different.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It does seem to have been an interesting decision. So on this site, almost complete agreement (in itself noteworthy) and amongst normally sane and sympathetic ex-professionals, the consensus seems to be poor decision. In answer to ChuckieB's question it seems they think there were mitigating circumstances and, given the tackler was where he was, what the flippin' heck was he supposed to do if the ball carrier ducks into him? Old boys who can't let go eh?