Translation

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Can anyone point me in the right direction for commonly used referee terms in English and their translation into other languages specifically french ?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just say 'le' in front of everything. le penalty, le scrum, etc. and you'll be fine!

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Can anyone point me in the right direction for commonly used referee terms in English and their translation into other languages specifically french ?

For commonly-used terms, the most important verbs seem to be release and roll away. Advantage, ruck, and maul are the big info words.

Wasn't "pression" used a few years ago for "set" (in the scrum engagement sequence)? Will wait for a native French speaker to be more helpful.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Silvermoon, What's the context of your translation? Because translation is ALL about context.

There have been many long discussion threads on here about reffin' various cross channel exchanges.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Why?
What's wromg with English?

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Unless you're doing a match somewhere where no one can speak a word of English you'll be fine with English. I just reffed 2 predominantly Francophone teams and had no issues using English. I tried to use French when possible, but I just don't know all of the proper terms, and I find it takes me too long to give instructions outside my native tongue on the field. Many of the terms are similar enough that even if a specific player doesn't speak a word of English he'll understand stuff like Advantage, which is just Avantage in French or roll (rouler), no (non), etc. At the end of the day I'd say that probably half the terms get used in English anyways. I've never heard a ref yell "mêlée spontanée" in a rugby game. They always say "ruck". Also, for scrum cadences, anyone who's ever played in the front row knows that there is a 3 word cadence. Who cares what language it's said, they know that after the first word they crouch, after the second they bind and then after the third they're set. You could literally call the scrum cadence in gibberish and the pack would know what to do.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
la mienne est une pinte

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Unless you're doing a match somewhere where no one can speak a word of English you'll be fine with English. I just reffed 2 predominantly Francophone teams and had no issues using English. I tried to use French when possible, but I just don't know all of the proper terms, and I find it takes me too long to give instructions outside my native tongue on the field. Many of the terms are similar enough that even if a specific player doesn't speak a word of English he'll understand stuff like Advantage, which is just Avantage in French or roll (rouler), no (non), etc. At the end of the day I'd say that probably half the terms get used in English anyways. I've never heard a ref yell "mêlée spontanée" in a rugby game. They always say "ruck". Also, for scrum cadences, anyone who's ever played in the front row knows that there is a 3 word cadence. Who cares what language it's said, they know that after the first word they crouch, after the second they bind and then after the third they're set. You could literally call the scrum cadence in gibberish and the pack would know what to do.
Lets just say it's a game where will be expected to use both languages seamlessly.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Also, for scrum cadences, anyone who's ever played in the front row knows that there is a 3 word cadence. Who cares what language it's said, they know that after the first word they crouch, after the second they bind and then after the third they're set. You could literally call the scrum cadence in gibberish and the pack would know what to do.

How about Ready, Set, Go?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Lets just say it's a game where will be expected to use both languages seamlessly.
Let me know what terms you want translated and I'll help you out. I ref games in both languages on a regular basis.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
For commonly-used terms, the most important verbs seem to be release and roll away. Advantage, ruck, and maul are the big info words.

Wasn't "pression" used a few years ago for "set" (in the scrum engagement sequence)? Will wait for a native French speaker to be more helpful.

Pression is what you ask during the game (as a fan) :D

(It's nowadays jeu, as a side note)