Trip to Yorkahire

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My report from my trip to Yorkshire last week. (I can't edit spelling typo in title)

I arrived at N at 13:00 to learn that I was about 40 miles away from my match as the fixture had been reversed earlier in the season. Not my fault as the assessor also went to N first.

We started about 30 mins late but I think that it went pretty well, though a couple of things to work on.

Your comments would be appreciated.

YORKSHIRE FEDERATION ASSESSOR’S REPORT FORM 2012-13

REFEREE: Mark
DATE: 12.01.2012

MATCH RESULT: YRI 17 v N 24
GAME LEVEL9 / REFEREE LEVEL9

OBJECTIVES: Please list the objectives greed with the referee prior to the match. These should ideally be established via email or phone conversations during the week prior to the match.

None specific

GAME CHALLENGE: Explain the challenge it provided to the Referee and the degree of difficulty involved

This game was changed at the beginning of the season from N to YRI unfortunately no one told the referee or myself so we were both at N and had to dash to YRI. That itself was a challenge. Mark’s challenge was to be alert from the beginning.

The game itself didn’t present one until the 2nd half when YRI suddenly started to play having been 5-17 down at HT. Then the referee’s instructions regarding the tackle were disregarded

MANAGEMENT PERFORMANCE: This will generally cover control & communication and may relate to his personal objectives for the match.

Control: Mark set out his parameters well before the game and carried then through, which gave him an easy 1st half despite the travel issue. In the 2nd half he dealt with the increased tempo of the game well and was not afraid to use YC’s to get his message across regarding malicious foul play.

He kept his concentration when the scores were level when the result could have gone either way in the last 10 minutes.

When he looks at penalties awarded he might like to think about YRI 7, should he have dealt with him earlier for persistently infringing.

Overall though it was a very good performance.

Communication: It’s not very often at this level that offence, player’s number and colour are consistently stated which is what happened and Mark deserves credit for it. In most instances advantage was clearly signalled and called, he just needs to be more consistent calling it when over.

My only minor criticism would be that when the tempo increased and he had to increase his level of concentration he on occasion raised his voice to make his point. In future he should try to avoid doing this as it only inflames the situation.

What he could also think about doing is naming offence when calling penalty advantage, it will help spot persistent offenders earlier.

He was though well above a L9 grade

TECHNICAL PERFORMANCE: Not all sub-headings need to be used. Select only those that were relevant to the Referee’s performance and/or those that relate to his personal objectives for the match

Breakdown. This was well refereed when Mark arrived but at times he was late and there were upto 5 players on the floor, so the 1st offence could have been missed. Mark needs to be on the move quicker from set pieces and vary his position at the lineout so the ball carrier doesn’t have a 15m start on him

Advantage Well refereed specially the 1st half15 with 5 returns whilst in the 2nd 6 and 1 return. Needs to be more consistent when calling advantage over it was not always called.

Maul Another reasonably good element kept players on side and made them re-join behind the back feet

Open Play At times a long way from play but didn’t miss anything, although he was 20m away from a try all be it level with play

Scrumage His instructions were clear and they abided by them his good advantage gave him an easier than usual ride with few scrums

Lineout. Both sides were pretty poor at throwing the ball in which didn’t help. Needs to be aware of support jumpers coming around in front of the catcher when the lineout turns into a maul

OVERALL COMMENT: Provide a summary comment on the Referee for his Coach and the Development Squad Coordinator – plus an evaluation of the referee’s progress towards meeting his personal match objectives. A comparative judgement is not required

This was a good performance with no obvious weaknesses his communication was as good as I have witnessed at Level’s 6 & 7. When he sorts out his lack of movement, which he should since fitness is not an issue I’m sure he will perform at a higher Level.

FOR REFEREE COMMENT:
1. Please indicate here any challenge to any matter of fact in the report. Please describe in enough detail (providing timing if possible) to enable any further review.

None

2. Please provide a written comment as to how this report will be used by you for purpose of development & preparation for your next appointment, including the usefulness of the REVIEW process.

Thank you for your assessment and comments during the debriefing.

I will look at my position at breakdowns & set pieces so as to optimise my transition to the next breakdown and I will endeavour to verbalise offence and offender so as to help establish patterns of offending. These are both constructive comments that will help me take my refereeing forward.

SUPPORTING MATCH STATISTICS DOCUMENTATION

STOPPAGES
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Total
Scrum Engagements 6 4 4 5 19
Scrum Resets 1 1 1 1 4
Penalties 1 6 3 7 17
FKs 1 1
Unplayables 0 1 2 2 5

RED & YELLOW CARDS
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 TOTAL
Team Carded Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away
Yellow Card 1 1 1 1 2
Red Card 0 0

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: Record any significant events, including material non-compliances, critical incidents, Law errors Record only Material Non-compliance statistic and briefly state WHY it was material in each ‘description’ section below.
Half Time
Mins Player Number Team
Offending Description of NC
1st 13 3 N Lifter came around in front of jumper off side
15 3 N As above try scored wide out following lineout . He did this continually when ball thrown to 2
20 2 YRI Late tackle
21 3 Y Off side maul in front of back feet
24 11 N Off side maul came around in front of ball by changing binding
2nd 9 3 N In at side ruck in own 22 won ball
12 3 YRI Off side ruck in front of back feet
26 15 N Off side ruck in front of back feet
27 17 N In at side ruck
37 17 YRI Threw punch on blind side of referee following maul

A material non-compliance occurs when an offence has not been sanctioned by a penalty, free kick or scrum. This offence will have had a material affect on the play at that time. It is still a material non-compliance even if the referee has acknowledged the offence to a player or given him a warning but no sanction was used. This does not include the referee had called penalty advantage and an advantage was gained by the non offending side.

Critical incidents, Law Errors and or any pre/post match events crucial to the overall view of performance are included in this section. A Critical Incident occurs when:
(a) a score is prevented when a score should have taken place
(b) a score is awarded when a score should not have taken place
(c) a decision is made which totally affects the outcome of the match

PENALTY PATTERN TIME LINE: If a player’s number is unknown, place a ‘?’ in the third column.
Half Time
Mins Player Number Team
Offending Description of Offence
1st 12 ? YRI Hands in ruck
22 7 YRI In at side ruck
27 7 YRI Hands in maul called ?
33 2 YRI Off side maul
37 7 YRI Off side scrum
40 3 N Trip YC
42 7 YRI Off feet ruck
2nd 10 12 N Not release ball
13 11 N Not known
17 6 YRI In at side ruck
21 4&7 N&YRI No penalty action and retaliation ( referee’s words)both YC
23 1,2,3 YRI Free Kick early engage scrum
27 ? YRI Not release ball
34 5 N Off feet tackle
39 ? N Hands in ruck
40 ? N Not rolling away tackle
42 17 YRI Foul play
43 4 N Foul play
44 2 N Not known

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
No phone call in the week running up to the game to confirm details?

Decent report, the positioning issue seems the main one - 10 events missed seems high, is this to do with positioning? North 3 seems to have been a persistent offender - did he get binned..?

Assessor says 17 - 5 at half time .... match report says 17 - 7....

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
RI's 7 did well to stay on the field in the first half although one of the PKs is hands in the maul so perhaps you let him off that one:biggrin:

The penalty count is ok but by quarters is increasing. Is this a case of trying to catch up after not starting in b@stard mode? That said the dash south was not good preperation for getting your head right?

They could have given you a better game than that as both teams are near the bottom and not great technically. N are poor travellers (they have a long way to go for most of their games) and the fact they won says much about YRI. I suppose these games present different challenges which is what it's all about.

Good, you must be pleased - sort out the movement/positioning and you can come back and do a crap game in Yorkshire 2 next year.

Well done again.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
37 17 YRI Threw punch on blind side of referee following maul

Brilliant, thats helpful, 1 pair of chuffing eyes!!!!