triple movement?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If I am being honest Dickie, I would have given that as a Try.

Were there complaints on the night? I know it isn't worth a carrot, but just looking at the body language of the Blue players, they think it's a try too; I don't see one appealing.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yeah, no - he’s crawled the last couple of metres. No try in my opinion, and a PK in favour of blue for tackled player failing to play the ball correctly.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
From the original angle looked like a C&O try to me. No reason to review - unless the TMO is calling it

However, from the front on view there is a definite crawl to the line and it is neither his momentum nor that of his support players that has carried him forward.

No try and PK for not releasing.

Last edited:

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The period between his first knee hitting the floor and the grounding is very short and he's moving forward the whole time.

If it walks like a try and quacks like a try, surely it's a try?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I watched all the summaries of Super Rugby round 6, and saw a lot of offences not blown for. Are the refs under instructions not to get in the way of tries, or is their function purely decorative?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Seen all the views posted here and still looks fine to me. There is an appearance of crawling but in my view it is all momentum not double/triple movements therefore try time.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Seen all the views posted here and still looks fine to me. There is an appearance of crawling but in my view it is all momentum not double/triple movements therefore try time.

the momentum concept is interesting. Surely all of the momemtum must come from the player's forward motion prior to hitting the ground and not be aided by momentum created after. A bit like comparing the long jump to the triple jump.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Try IMO

I had more of an issue with yellow 19 going off his feet in his support of Savea than the try but that kind of "rucking" is par for course in showbiz Rugby land.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
OK, I'll be the wet sock. No try.
Brought to ground and held a couple of metres short and continues to propel himself (i.e. not what is typically accepted as a player's momentum) to the goal line. Not sure why the blue players weren't blowing up

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OK, I'll be the wet sock. No try.
Brought to ground and held a couple of metres short and continues to propel himself (i.e. not what is typically accepted as a player's momentum) to the goal line. Not sure why the blue players weren't blowing up

Maybe theyve been coached properly to respect the referee!