[Law] Trupping?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Would you consider it foul play if, after grasping ball the carrier, the tackler wrapped their legs around their opponent or extended their leg to finish the tackle?

Would this constitue 'tripping'? 9.12

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd be OK with the wrap. I'd have to see the 'extended their leg' incident. Was it like a judo throw?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
7s, small woman attempting to tackle a large woman. Came in with good form, was being dragged down Field, sticks leg out to finish tackle.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yeah, I'd be OK with that too

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I thought this thread was going to be about something entirely different from the headline :redface:

Tupping

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Would you consider it foul play if, after grasping ball the carrier, the tackler wrapped their legs around their opponent or extended their leg to finish the tackle?

[laws]9.12 A player must not physically or verbally abuse anyone. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, biting, punching, contact with the eye or eye area, striking with any part of the arm (including stiff-arm tackles), shoulder, head or knee(s), stamping, trampling, tripping or kicking.[/laws]
IMHO, yes.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Foul play for me.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
There's a technique that was (is?) used in RL called the Cumberland hipe, a wrestling throw over the leg.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I think I would regard it as tripping expect it to be penalised.

A few years ago one of the local teams I used to visit had an ex-England international judo player playing in the centre. When an opposition player presented a handoff he simply used to shoulder/hip roll them to the ground. Penalise? He always landed them on their backs. Does a hip constitute a trip? Or is it only the use of the lower leg?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think I would regard it as tripping expect it to be penalised.

A few years ago one of the local teams I used to visit had an ex-England international judo player playing in the centre. When an opposition player presented a handoff he simply used to shoulder/hip roll them to the ground. Penalise? He always landed them on their backs. Does a hip constitute a trip? Or is it only the use of the lower leg?

Did he take the Legs over the horizontal?

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
If the "tackler" is in contact when they use the whole of their body including part of the leg to bring the ball carrier to ground and remain in contact the whole time and do not take them above the horizontal would you really call that a trip?
The expectation for a trip is that you are not in contact with the ball carrier with anything other than the leg surely.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've penalised this before.
The tackler is clearly using their legs to trip the player and the likely outcome if the tackler perfects it, is the ball carrier going head first to the ground.
I usually call the tackler and captain and say you can't tackle like that it's dangerous.
Never been questioned on it and most players accept it.
often predominately RL players and we get a lot of it in my county.