Try or No Try

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Matters not - the question is whether the pressure had a reasonable influence on the plane of the ball...

Please explain in as plain English as possible what the term "influence on the plane of the ball" actually means

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Please explain in as plain English as possible what the term "influence on the plane of the ball" actually means

It must mean something to RL refs; presumably, however, a contact that makes not a ha'porth of difference to the behaviour of the ball, like Hall's, isn't sufficient grounding to constitute a try.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
It must mean something to RL refs; presumably, however, a contact that makes not a ha'porth of difference to the behaviour of the ball, like Hall's, isn't sufficient grounding to constitute a try.

I am not trying to put you on the spot but then if that were the case if a ball was stationary on the ground and the "tryscorer" merely put his fingers on the ball with downwards pressure and the ball started stock still in its original position there is no try - surely not!!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I imagine it means that the movement of the ball must somehow change; i.e. if it is rotating, the speed or plane of rotation must change to indicate that the player has got sufficient contact on the ball to influence it... that's my 2p worth anyway.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
So we have 3 ex-Australian referees supporting the decision in favour of an Australian team by an Australian video ref and an Australian ref - is that really a surprise!
Yes to all Australians , they are surprised they only found 3 !

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interestingly, Phil Bentham (Eng) has been appointed to NZ v Eng, while Gerard Sutton (Aus) has been appointed to Aus v Samoa.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I am not trying to put you on the spot but then if that were the case if a ball was stationary on the ground and the "tryscorer" merely put his fingers on the ball with downwards pressure and the ball started stock still in its original position there is no try - surely not!!

That's a different situation and I'm not a League referee...

But for my money Hall's little finger made not a ha'porth of difference to the behaviour of the ball, so by League rules no try. If you think it did affect the behaviour of the ball, have at it.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For anyone interested, Phil Bentham (Eng) will be holding the whistle for the Aus-NZ final.