[Tackle] two matches five reds!

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Have to ask.
Watched two premiership match's so far this weekend, and have seen five red cards, (all justified). My question is , when will players learn, tackle below the waist. Given it's what all my clubs mini and junior coaches teach, along with run for space not face, it isn't that hard to learn. Why can the professional not learn?
Anyone out their operating at the top level any ideas?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Maybe I'm not understanding your question....but it's probably to do with the preferred outcomes at different levels. The Minis etc probably only want to, or are required to, make the tackle ie stop/take down the ball carrier. At higher levels there is an expectation/need to do more in terms of ripping, disrupting speed of the recycle, offload etc.
'Man and ball' is often the target at upper levels which dictates the tackle type.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I saw Bath v Glos. I didn't see Leics v Wasps so Missed out on that fun!

B v G - red card each side. one for a forearm smash as ball carrier (G), the other for the head clash in a stand up tackle.

looking at the video of LvW, 1st RC was a head smash clearout, bothe players fairly upright so plenty of room to get lower, 2nd was a shoulder contact into a player dropping his body into contact (bit still WAY high), 3rd was taken in the air. All clear cut.

There arguably should have been another in LI v Bri when a YC tip tackle could have been deemed a RC when the "landed on the back" looked very much like back and head together.

https://youtu.be/Jk0JnKa3e4M?t=15
(15 seconds on the YT clip)

didds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At higher levels there is an expectation/need to do more in terms of ripping, disrupting speed of the recycle, offload etc.
'Man and ball' is often the target at upper levels which dictates the tackle type.

Even if the team ends up with players off the field? That seems poor coaching to me. If your defensive system / plan is illegal you need to work out a new one.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Even if the team ends up with players off the field? That seems poor coaching to me. If your defensive system / plan is illegal you need to work out a new one.

This.

I was wonderign if in fact the whole coaching approach was "we'll risk a RC". Which doesnt make any sense to me, outside of cynical plays in the last 10 minutes (im not suggesting that is "right"!)

didds

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

High Risk, High Reward

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
A High Reward relative to a red card would have to be a try at least. These are tackles, clearouts, fends, the basics really - and they get picked up quite commonly. High Risk, Low Reward.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
A High Reward relative to a red card would have to be a try at least. These are tackles, clearouts, fends, the basics really - and they get picked up quite commonly. High Risk, Low Reward.

For me if you tackle at chest height going for ball and all, it is high risk because if you get it wrong then you could be sent off. No one is being taught to aim for the head, just near the head and hopefully it doesn't go wrong, and you could be rewarded with a turnover. In the past this hasn't lead to too many reds, and this justifies the risk, this past weekend it did cause too many reds, so maybe the players and coaches will adjust.