[Scrum] Uncontested scrum with reduced player numbers - Womens NC2

pombok

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had a game a couple of weeks ago that had me scratching my head.

Womens NC2 game so England Rugby Regulation 16 and 16 Amendment 1 come into play.

As it is NC2 we play under 19 law variations. Both teams have 15 players to start with but no replacements, so far so good.

Midway through the second half Team A's prop feels unwell and leaves the field. There is no front row replacement so we go to uncontested scrums.

Normal uncontested scrum law would mean that Team A drop a player (or cannot replace the injured player) and play with 14. 8 required in the scrum for uncontested so we have Team A with 14 players and Team B with 15.

Team A then loses their other prop to injury. Regulation 16 (app 1) 16.2.b says:
National Challenge 2 and below(b) Matches can be played with reduced numbers to a minimum of 10 players a side. In allmatches, there must be the same number of players from each team on the field of play,subject to the laws of the game.

So I said that Team A now goes to 13 and Team B goes to 14. Team B still has the advantage of an extra player as Team A caused uncontested scrums. If not for the first injury causing uncontested (i.e. if it was a backline player that got injured) we would play 14 a side.

OR

After the second player got injured should we have played 13 on both sides so that there are the same number of players on the pitch?

Thoughts?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
First question is does the man off (woman off?) law apply? You say "Normal uncontested scrum law would mean ..." but does it apply to the Ladies? I'm not sure it does, for mens league fixtures this is covered in Reg 13 appendix 2, Reg 16 is the equivalent for ladies and doesn't mention it that I can see, I believe Reg 16 is *instead of* Reg 13, in which case it doesn't apply.

So my answer would be that When Team A lost the first prop B should have dropped to 14, and then to 13 when the second Prop went off (as per Reg 16 App 1 that you quoted above)

(Specifically Reg 13, App2, 5 (b) says;
(b) The RFU has exercised its discretion under Law 3.16 to invoke the ‘man-off’ rule inaccordance with the Laws of the Game) is there an equivalent for Ladies and / or NC2?)

pombok

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Good point, and you got me digging deeper into the regs.

Reg 13 only states for "adult competitions", but 13.2.1(b) goes on to say:
(b) RFU Regulation 16 sets out the Regulations relating to the RFU WomenCompetitions in England. RFU Regulation 16 is supplemental to the other RFURegulations (including RFU Regulation 13) which, for the avoidance of doubt,shall have full force and effect save that in the event of conflict betweenRegulation 16 and the other RFU Regulations, the RFU Regulations (to theextent that they affect the Clubs) are deemed varied by RFU Regulation 16.

Therefore Reg 16 is an "also" rather than "instead of" Reg 13.

The bit following "for the avoidance of doubt" does anything but. I read it as saying that Reg 16 takes precedence, so Reg 13's "man off" law is trumped by Reg 16's "same number of players on each side".

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think that fits, certainly in the lower ladies / social leagues and with the the new game on principles they are trying all they can to get games on, match players, good experience etc which the man off law kinda goes against (basically penalising you for insufficient numbers), be interested if anyone knows different though?