[Mini/Midi] Under 14s kicking to touch from a penalty

smudgie49

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I'm due to AR an u14 Cup Final later today so just boning up on the age grade rules of play. There is no mention of kicking to touch from a penalty so I would assume the 'normal' laws apply - in particular that you can kick direct to touch from a penalty (regardless of where you are) and the subsequent line out is taken from in line with where the ball crossed the touchline and the kicking team gets the throw-in.

However :

Kicking:a) Kicking the ball when it is on the ground is allowed (known as a “flyhack”).b) Drop goals are permitted.c) If the ball is kicked from outside of the 22 metre line directly into touch, a free pass is awarded to the opposing team who last touched the ball in line with where the ball was kicked and 10 metres in from the touchline unless they elect to take a quick throw in in compliance with 9(d).

Am I to assume this means kicking in open play and does NOT apply to a penalty kick? Also it seems odd that a kick which bounces into touch leads to a lineout whereas a kick direct to touch leads to a free pass?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm due to AR an u14 Cup Final later today so just boning up on the age grade rules of play. There is no mention of kicking to touch from a penalty so I would assume the 'normal' laws apply - in particular that you can kick direct to touch from a penalty (regardless of where you are) and the subsequent line out is taken from in line with where the ball crossed the touchline and the kicking team gets the throw-in.

However :

Kicking:a) Kicking the ball when it is on the ground is allowed (known as a “flyhack”).b) Drop goals are permitted.c) If the ball is kicked from outside of the 22 metre line directly into touch, a free pass is awarded to the opposing team who last touched the ball in line with where the ball was kicked and 10 metres in from the touchline unless they elect to take a quick throw in in compliance with 9(d).

Am I to assume this means kicking in open play and does NOT apply to a penalty kick? Also it seems odd that a kick which bounces into touch leads to a lineout whereas a kick direct to touch leads to a free pass?

I thought U14 just played proper Laws with little balls, shorter halves and modifications to scrum and lineout?

Isn't all that free pass stuff for U12 and younger?

Sorry I haven't a clue but will be interested to know - not much help given it's 12:45 I know. Perhaps one of the age group experts will pop up before you're due to kick off. Good Luck.

In your shoes (black hopefully) I'd just stick my flag up and let the referee FIU :biggrin:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There is one reference to a free pass and that is in 9(c) - which looks suspiciously like a cut and paste from under 13.
Did they really mean to keep the free pass for balls kicked directly into touch?

smudgie49

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
There is one reference to a free pass and that is in 9(c) - which looks suspiciously like a cut and paste from under 13.
Did they really mean to keep the free pass for balls kicked directly into touch?

Agreed, looks like an error. It doesn't seem to accord with the other law differences.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Notsurehowthathelps?Myspacebarhasstoppedworking!!

Ref my space bar not working.
This happens to me some times when replying with qupte of poster you are refering to.
I find that if i go to last line of previous quote and place a few dots .....................

I can then press return key to get a new line & then i can type properly
Hope this makes sense .

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My understanding is you take the laws as per the 15 aside game unless specifically contradicted. Here, without good reason to do otherwise, I would expect the line out to go to the kicking team. It might however be worth reading the NROP for older age groups in case it's explicitly introduced later?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes, if you compare the wording in your link you can see that version has been corrected, penalties at U14 are basically the same as the adult game

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've always thought that the way the RFU age grade regulations are written is a slightly strange mix. By emphasising some aspects of the laws but not others they can give the impression that if it is not covered in the text then it does not apply. It really would be much clearer if they specifically said play the full laws except in the following circumstances.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Yes, if you compare the wording in your link you can see that version has been corrected, penalties at U14 are basically the same as the adult game

I've always thought that the way the RFU age grade regulations are written is a slightly strange mix. By emphasising some aspects of the laws but not others they can give the impression that if it is not covered in the text then it does not apply. It really would be much clearer if they specifically said play the full laws except in the following circumstances.

The original issue around the free pass has been corrected, but still arguably vague on what happens after kicking for touch from a penalty.

This is exactly my issue... do I assume we only do what is detailed in the age grade reg, or assume the age grade reg only states deviations from the adult game?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My county was one of the trial counties to NROP so maybe I've just been looking at this for longer, but the approach I've always taken as coach and ref is that the NROP is a variation, so you follow the U19 laws of the game to the letter *unless* it's specifically contradicted in that age group NROP doc. It's not caught me out yet, although rewording over the summer has a few times!

So in this case at U14 and above if you kick and find touch from a penalty the line out (or quick throw if appropriate) is yours, just like the adult game.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
As Flish states, the Regulation writers start at U19 Variations and work 'downwards', increasing restrictions.

However all players, many coaches, and some referees start in the younger age groups and step 'upwards' each season!

No wonder they can be confused.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is exactly my issue... do I assume we only do what is detailed in the age grade reg, or assume the age grade reg only states deviations from the adult game?[/QUOTE]

The best way of putting it is to play the full regulations unless they are specifically contradicted in the variations. If we only played what was specified in the age grade regulations it would quickly become apparent that lots was missing. As I said previously Ifind how its written potentially misleading.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thanks for the guidance!

As Flish states, the Regulation writers start at U19 Variations and work 'downwards', increasing restrictions.

However all players, many coaches, and some referees start in the younger age groups and step 'upwards' each season!

No wonder they can be confused.

This is a great point. I think all coaches start with their own age group rules and go from there... and why wouldn't you since it seems most obvious? In fact, I have purposefully not read variations for older age groups in case I get muddled when referreeing since I currently only referee for my team's age group.

Last edited: