USA Collegate Rugby

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I realise that most of you will have no interest in this but this is mainly for those of us in the USA.

I just read this article... http://www.rugbymag.com/news/colleges/collegemen/possible-collegiate-rsl-has-ripple-effect.aspx

Is this for real? Where do they expect to get the money to pay travel expenses?

My experience with the collegate game is that, except in rare circumstances such as the military academys, the players get to games by carpooling. One major drawback to a club rugby team attempting to play opponents in the varsity sports conference is the incredable distances involved every other week or so.

Who is going to pay for this?

Who is even going to ensure that players stay sober as they make the eight hour drive one way?

What happens to the small schools that may be the only school in their conference that even has a rugby club? Are they going to be kicked to the side because everyone else has "conference games" to play?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I know the NFL is divided into eight regional divisions in two Conferences, NCAA divided up into even smaller conferences (we regularly see games from the Pac10 Conference on ESPN Asia-Pacific), and I always thought this was acknowledgment of the travel distances and time-zones involved.

With the exception of 10 inter-divisional "roster" games in each of the AFC and NFC, even a sport with the obvious resources of the NFL don't "go national" until the post-season.

It seems madness to try running a National League in a country of such enormous physical size, in what is effectively a minor sport.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
In the NFL, even within regional conferences, 1,000 mile trips are quite normal. Take the Denver Broncos... The other teams in the AFC West are San Diego, Oakland and Kansas City. Travel to those citys comes to about 2700 miles a year, one way.

Playing home and away with those 3 opponents is only 6 of their 16 game regular season. The other 5 away games will be futher away than any of the conference games.

College conferences are smaller but still the distances can be quite substantial. Sure there will be a couple teams within a 2 to 4 hour one way drive but then there are the other 6 to 8 hour drives.

I coached at a couple smallish collages and we would be lucky if the club managed to get $300-$400 a year from the school. That probably wouldn't even cover chartering a bus for a 1 hour round trip much less the distances involved in your typical NCAA conference.

In ERRFU there were 9 school teams. A nice number of teams to get a season worth of games. They came from 5 different conferences.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I have to pick my words carefully here being on RSV Exec.

The theory is that Alumni will give money more readily if the opposition are seen as a) elite and b) have long standing Conference rivalries.

There are a number of issues that have yet to be addressed and finalized, not least of which is the provision of referees to the competition if it isn't USA Rugby sanctioned.

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm not sure matching up to the football conferences or a national league is a good idea. As Rit points out, most clubs do not have travel budgets for a national league. The other aspect, at least on the West Coast is many of the top teams are not in the Pac 10 (BYU, St. Mary's, CWU just to name a few). Then again, I don't really see the use of varsity college athletics.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The theory is that Alumni will give money more readily if the opposition are seen as a) elite and b) have long standing Conference rivalries.

So, for how many decades do you expect the students to pay the expenses necessary before that becomes a reality?

Looking at the ACC I see Florida and Boston college listed. Just a guestimate but I'd have to think that would have to be close to a 2,000 mile round trip. Who'se going to pay for that for the next 10-20 years untill boosters feel that the economy is safe enough that they can throw another $500 into the $10,000 they are already giving to the football and basketball programs?

Untill then, whose going to ride in each car of University of South Carolina ruggers to ensure they don't kill themselves on the 12 hour each way trip to the University of Arkansas?

Recently I was delighted to read about the new Carolina League joining teams throughout the Carolinas in a single conference. This plan will damage a very workable orginisation to chase a pipedream of $$$.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
who the hell cares? they form the divisions, they assign the referees and we referee the matches.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
btw rit - B2 is no longer a real grade in the US and even if it was - it requires accreditation which includes: current grade coaching reports and a current bleep test. if you have those on file within the last 18 months I would ask about your current grade (it will be a number) if not - I would change that on your profile as it's not true.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I know that.

It's what I put in the "Or if retired what grade were you?" slot.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
All of the teams who are interested in this know what is involved. I think the top teams want to play each other. What good does it do for Cal to win 60-5 every week? How will some of the other teams that are close but not quite there get better (Penn State comes to mind). On the other hand, we have teams who go to the sweet 16 every year and have no chance of winning. The Midwest qualifier almost always loses both games they play.
College Rugby is different now than when we got involved. Many teams have coaches, school support, some access to facilities, etc. Players come in with some experience as well.
I hope they are successful. The NBC supported Colege Sevens Invitational is a big deal. The positive image and TV ratings of USA 7's led to that. I am betting the TV money is helping to contribute to the costs for the schools.
At the end of the day I admire these teams for trying to put this together. I hope it works out.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
who the hell cares? they form the divisions, they assign the referees and we referee the matches.

Not so simple.
If the competition is USA Rugby approved, life is easier.
However, if their competition clashes with other USA Rugby championship matches, then there could be a problem as I would have to appoint there first.

They are likely to "ask" (that is, demand) a certain grade of referee; that's going to put strain on the system. I only have a finite number of "decent" referees - if I have to send them to the Championships, it will create local resourcing issues.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
The podcast that ARN puts out say that USA Rugby is behind this. I am guessing these will be Level 4 matches. It may be an opportunity for a lot of good T panel refs to get some good looks that they may not get. Or even soon to be T panels like our friends in Michigan and San Diego.