Veo Camera's popping up everywhere!

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I don't know if this is just a local thing, but this season I started to notice some little green boxes sitting up on tripod's next to the field at a few different clubs and schools.

Last Saturday I asked the home club where I was refereeing what it was.

Turns out that for $2000 (AUD) the club can buy a camera and tripod set up, then buy an annual subscription for a ~$200 or so, the camera then records the game (including tracking the ball and moving to follow the game).

Link is here to the vendor:

The club sent me a link to the game, and I thought it was fantastic - apparently based off soccer but transitioned to Rugby pretty well.

Most of the game the view was wide enough to see the rucks and both back lines (but not enough to see into the breakdown).

So if you see one of these little little green things at your game, my advice is to ask the club if you can be sent the game link - very useful for seeing reviewing your game.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
We have them at our club and we always ask if the referee wants a link to the game. It is also available to the district for disciplinary matters if there are cards or other incidents including citings.

We used to have a man on the roof with a camera, but this is so much easier.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
A number of clubs in Cumbria use them. I usually get a link which shows how bad my positioning is ;)
For general performance of team and ref I think they are a useful tool.
Not sure how much use they are for detailed performance/decisions or discipline as they don't zoom in too close.
Also when it's windy which it often is up here, you can't hear much.
I think our society is going to formally ask for a link of all games in the future.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Pretty common for 1st XV and seniors youth games here in Durham, footage is decent enough for a wide angle view - rarely useful for anything close up

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
As I understand it Veo good for coaching but does not allow sound so has it limitations for refereeing improvement.

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
As I understand it Veo good for coaching but does not allow sound so has it limitations for refereeing improvement.
The link I sent had sound, but the quality was not great (as per @Ciaran Trainor), maybe version of camera or software.

I also agree with @Flish, with no up close view it doesn’t help for breakdown decisions etc, but, it did help me understand where my Comms and positioning could improve.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
They do have audio, but easily interrupted with background noise, wind.

Typically they are on the half way line so the view is from that angle, good for wide field of view stuff (back line position in open play) but no use for the breakdown

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
One of my sons games last season, may or may not be me in the middle 🤷‍♂️

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'd heard the annual subscription was more like c£700 plus VAT (£840) which is more than AUS$200. It wouldn't be the first time we in the UK get ripped off though- Thatcher's Britain! 🤬

Our "Society" (we have ditched the Society bit) are considering getting one - the ongoing cost is one of the stumbling blocks.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It wasn’t too bad, I think mostly because it was my son’s team so I knew all the players, remembering which team was ‘blue’ was fun!

number11

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I've AR for the regional U16 sides. They use a similar system but with two cameras on a pole and a dedicated operator, i.e. he moves and points the camera towards the ball.

That system has a dedicated mic channel, so the ref wears an extra mic that's recorded onto the video.