Vunipola on = PK to Wales

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Much to discuss.
1. 3 players in front of Halfpenny when he kicked ahead resulting in Wales try
2. Need replay to see if England took ball back when Brown kicked directly into touch. Close call
3. George North concussion test in first half then lights out in second half but no test/replacement
4. Wales given much more time/leniency for defenders to roll away at tackles in 1st half and early 2nd half but then pinged much quicker from about 50 minutes on
5. Players laying (chest resting on tackled player) on tackled player and therefore off feet when going for turn over
6. Obstruction call before England "no try"
7. Video replay for possible try when England player hits post whilst standing up. WTF?
8. England #8 possible "hands in the scrum" before try
9. Wales fail to score late in game again to lose a close one.
10. 36 hands on ground ahead of ball for crucial turn over???

Last edited:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Clever man.

So, who dares to bring up the video referee process? I'm still at LOL WHAT on that one.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Much to discuss.
2. Need replay to see if England took ball back when Brown kicked directly into touch. Close call ahem, not close at all.
3. George North concussion test in first half then lights out in second half but no test/replacement ...wtf!
4. Wales given much more time/leniency for defenders to roll away at tackles in 1st half and early 2nd half but then pinged much quicker from about 50 minutes on.Spotted that also, perhaps coach half time intervention????
5. Players laying (chest resting on tackled player) on tackled player and therefore off feet when going for turn over.Its the norm in NH
6. Obstruction call before England "no try"the ball had gone b4 the contact
7. Video replay for possible try when England player hits post whilst standing up. WTF? The best argument ever, for NFL style posts.
8. Wales #8 possible "hands in the scrum" before try - yes, his pack was retreating, his excavation was indeed material
9. Wales fail to score late in game again to lose a close one. Shame.
10. 36 hands on ground ahead of ball for crucial turn over???Same as #5

My biggest criticism was the length of time allowed to slow down possession at the tackle/ruck , not impressed.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
8. Surely he had broken his bind before the ball was out.
Why didn't the TMO say something

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Much to discuss.
8. England #8 possible "hands in the scrum" before try

Surely you mean Wales #8? Scrum going backwards, #8 wasn't the rearmost player, and he had to reach in to get it.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Surely you mean Wales #8? Scrum going backwards, #8 wasn't the rearmost player, and he had to reach in to get it.

Yes it was Wales #8.
I didn't notice my mistake as Browner corrected it in his post for everyone.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Reach in!
He was up to his waist in the scrum retrieving the ball.
But then a lot of the scrums disintegrated and nothing was done.

No2 The player had one foot in the 22 and one foot outside it when he caught the bouncing ball, so wasnt taken back.

Oh.....and the feeding into the scrum was embarrassing.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Much to discuss.
2. Need replay to see if England took ball back when Brown kicked directly into touch. Close call
3. George North concussion test in first half then lights out in second half but no test/replacement
4. Wales given much more time/leniency for defenders to roll away at tackles in 1st half and early 2nd half but then pinged much quicker from about 50 minutes on
5. Players laying (chest resting on tackled player) on tackled player and therefore off feet when going for turn over
6. Obstruction call before England "no try"
7. Video replay for possible try when England player hits post whilst standing up. WTF?
8. Wales #8 possible "hands in the scrum" before try
9. Wales fail to score late in game again to lose a close one.
10. 36 hands on ground ahead of ball for crucial turn over???

11. The knee that Faletau put into Joseph as he was getting up after his try?

- - - Updated - - -

Reach in!
He was up to his waist in the scrum retrieving the ball.

...and down on one knee; and unbound.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I was amazed Wales' try was allowed to be honest, Faletau really had to go reaching in to fetch the ball with 1 hand.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Much to discuss.

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/54818

Money quote:

"North, who sustained the impact in the 61st minute of the match remained on the field and, having undertaken an initial review of the broadcast footage, World Rugby is seeking to establish from the WRU whether all concussion management protocols were appropriately followed."

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd add to the list:

Welsh lineout player gets dropped onto his back by his own team mates. Welsh appeal for PK against England was correctly waved away, but why no FK to England for Wales failing to bring their man safely to ground?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was amazed Wales' try was allowed to be honest, Faletau really had to go reaching in to fetch the ball with 1 hand.
I thought the same, and replayed it to be sure. He reached right into the scrum.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I thought the same, and replayed it to be sure. He reached right into the scrum.

The French S/H did it today. Took it from the middle of the second rows. No doubt we'll see it at every level below now and more grief for refs when they ping it.