Wales' 1st try .. obstruction?

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
it looked like obstruction to me ... Shanklin was holding SA defender !!

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Really? Did Shanklin prevent a tackle being made on North or is the issue that Shanklin ran ahead of the ball and contacted a defender? (Are you looking at a still or a video?)

De Villiers committed himself totally to Shanklin, De Villiers could do nothing about North's run, none of the Bokke backline picked North up. M. Steyn was too late getting across, would not have made the tackle and was obstructed by De Villiers not by Shanklin. Obstruction would've been a very harsh call IMHO but I've seen that call made.

Error in Bokke defence for me, Shanklin was Steyn's man, De Villiers should've picked up North. Great try! :)

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
If we referee by video then yes, it was obstruction. In reality, we don't and have to make snap judgements as to cause and effect. Was defender ever going to be in a position to make a tackle on ball carrier - I'd say not. And it prob wouldn't have been in his eye line either.

Good try (but then Im slightly biased on this one....)

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
First chance I've had to see any of this match.

Wasn't the tackle that injured Shane Williams a "tip tackle"? Didn't appear to draw any attention from the ref in the highlights.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Oh is that show boating before the try? :wink:
Serious? He raised his hand before grounding the ball.

If I was 18 and was just about to score a brilliant try for Wales on my debut, I'd be pretty happy too. TBH I thought he was pretty subdued. :D

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Serious? He raised his hand before grounding the ball.

If I was 18 and was just about to score a brilliant try for Wales on my debut, I'd be pretty happy too. TBH I thought he was pretty subdued. :D

Oh don't get me wrong i have no issue with it. The comment was put there for someone to bite on, and they did:wink: :D

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
First chance I've had to see any of this match.

Wasn't the tackle that injured Shane Williams a "tip tackle"? Didn't appear to draw any attention from the ref in the highlights.

Tip tackle:chin: you watching the right game?

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I believe so.

Isn't that the term for lifting the BC's feet above their heads before bringing him/her to ground?

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
OK.

The one view I had did not show Shane's right foot which stays below his hips.

What I was looking at was the left foot going above his head and assumed that both feet were up.

An "over the hip" throw could often lead to a "tip" especially when there is such a disparity in height between the two players. Believe me, as a short player, I know.