Wayne Barnes - Quins v Bath

bcm666

Brian Moore, Ex England International Hooker
Post Likes
At one point we had 10 scrums - 1 completed as a restarting of the game.

First scrum WB ignored a 6 metre early drive by Bath and brought it back for a reset which he then FKd a marginally early engagement. The latter had and has no effect on stability; the former has a major effect.

Later in the run of failures he started talking about balance - not in the lawbook and what is meant by that is open to question anyway; another example of coaching which should not be done and is not needed.

At a subsequent scrum he then reeled off a list of things he said might, just might, make the scrums better - not one of them was going to do so as they related to the pre-engagement phase or before the put-in.

Every expert we had on the 5 Live programme on scrums, from all round the world, made the distinction between the pre and post engagment part of the scrum and agreed the pre-phase was of relatively little importance, yet we still see this myopic, pedantic officiating of the wrong part of this set-piece. What a joke from one of our elite officials.

Rambles

Referees in England
Post Likes
agree with you.

but it seems those who know, agree with this protracted pre-engagement rubbish.
we, the hoi poloi, know nothing.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Brian you are 100% right! And it's working its way down the levels. A couple of weeks ago I spoke to one pack a couple of times following marginal early pushes (hits?). Later they put in a massive early drive from the "hit" about 4 yards by the time I'd got the whistle to my mouth 8 or 9 by the time they'd stopped.

Mouthful from captain and LHP: "We have to be allowed the hit!" my reply: "No such thing guys and 10 metres for the lip". As we left the field captain again spoke about me not allowing their "hit". I told him we'd discuss it in the clubhouse when he could show me in his law book he justification. They did not come back to to the home teams clubhouse. No surprise they never do when they lose (in fact I remember winning at their ground on one occasion and they {the home team} did not come back to their clubhouse).

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Brian you are 100% right! And it's working its way down the levels. A couple of weeks ago I spoke to one pack a couple of times following marginal early pushes (hits?). Later they put in a massive early drive from the "hit" about 4 yards by the time I'd got the whistle to my mouth 8 or 9 by the time they'd stopped.

Mouthful from captain and LHP: "We have to be allowed the hit!" my reply: "No such thing guys and 10 metres for the lip". As we left the field captain again spoke about me not allowing their "hit". I told him we'd discuss it in the clubhouse when he could show me in his law book he justification. They did not come back to to the home teams clubhouse.

Well done that man.

Last edited by a moderator:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
..., yet we still see this myopic, pedantic officiating of the wrong part of this set-piece. What a joke from one of our elite officials.
I feel your pain this evening ; Wayne Barnes clueless in Limerick. Penalties at every scrum, without trying to understand who's doing what. "I am THE boss." he seems to be saying...

30 minutes of play the man in the middle says Munster wheeled the scrum on their own 10m line. Please explain that one, my "knowledgeable" Mr. Barnes. (Wrong, whatever you might reply.)

55 minutes of play Clermont (again) wheel the scrum 90° this time in their own half (twice!)
Ref gives them the put in again. Prat! Turnover ball.

Why make such calls at scrum time, when clearly you don't see what's happening?

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The better team won on the night. Our supporters are as ever the 16th man for our home games. Munster Line-out mauls collapsed by Clermont numerous times, Mr. Barnes didn't blink. At least one clear knock-on by Clermont, right under Wayne Barnes nose, no reaction what-so-ever from Mr. Barnes. Makes one wonder if he's not trying to even up the odds? 16 against 16?

I know I will be accused of being the passionate club supporter. Fair enough, your average passionate club supporter finds it hard to accept utter nonsense from the referee. Sort it mate!

Call it like you see it Wayne, makes it easier for everyone to accept. If you see defensive scrums wheelin' thru 90, then do so consistently. Simple!

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Videos or any links? Or else it ends up just being opinion, not helpful for learning/discussion. If I can find any I will put some up. Any minutes in particular?

L'irlandais

Post Likes
For the moment no, Be-In sport don't allow highlights here in France. The man in question can review his own game, he's rarely impartial when it comes to officiating Munster Rugby. Sad for him really.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/munster-clermont-1819044-Dec2014/ for the timing of incidents in the game. Compare decision against Munster on their put-in at 30 minutes on the clock, with opposite decision in favour of Clermont on their scrum put-in at 55 minutes.

It's not result changing stuff, the French outfit deserved their win; However the man in the middle needs to be consistant,. :(

62 minutes of play Nick Abendanon Kocked out cold. (18.56 real time)
Replaced by Jonathan Davies. The concussion bin is a farce, only our referee didn't have the courage to say so and lets the player rejoin the fray. Nick Abendanon was clearly in a bad way before going off, the referee is the sole decider, not the team doctor. 8 Minutes later everything is "oh so fine" for the player. (Not!) With Abendanon back on for Nalaga.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
62 minutes of play Nick Abendanon Kocked out cold. (18.56 real time)
Replaced by Jonathan Davies. The concussion bin is a farce, only our referee didn't have the courage to say so and lets the player rejoin the fray. Nick Abendanon was clearly in a bad way before going off, the referee is the sole decider, not the team doctor. 8 Minutes later everything is "oh so fine" for the player. (Not!) With Abendanon back on for Nalaga.

A person who is knock out cold IS CONCUSSED. There should be no need for a concussion test!

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Call it like you see it Wayne, makes it easier for everyone to accept.

He clearly did and for whatever reason he didn't see it from the same perspective you did, so you don't accept it. He's neutral. You clearly aren't. Move on.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The man in question can review his own game, he's rarely impartial when it comes to officiating Munster Rugby.

really? wayne barnes goes out of his way to cheat munster out of every game he has them in?

i should introduce you to my club head coach, he has the same opinion of every eastern counties referee who does our first team.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
really? wayne barnes goes out of his way to cheat munster out of every game he has them in?

i should introduce you to my club head coach, he has the same opinion of every eastern counties referee who does our first team.

Isn't your club Chelmsford? A popular location for Yorkshire referees on exchange (not me I hasten to add).

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
yep, that's the one.

actually, my previous post was unfair to eddie. he thinks all referees are out to get us!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
yep, that's the one.

actually, my previous post was unfair to eddie. he thinks all referees are out to get us!

There always seems to be correlation between those that commence the match thinking like that, and those that end up feeling validated !