What is not straight in the line out especially when it's windy?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
19.6 How the throw-in is taken
The player taking the throw-in must stand at the correct place. The player must not step into the field of play when the ball is thrown. The ball must be thrown straight, so that it travels at least 5 metres along the line of touch before it first touches the ground or touches or is touched by a player.

I'm not talking about TV rugby which always appears to be thrown straight to the catcher.
Down in the weeds, Always a challenge. I've always took the view that if it it is thrown straight and gets over the 5m I treat it as you would a pass that the wind caught and it's play on.
When it's really blowing there is no real advantage to any team.
Just wondering what you guys think?

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it's v windy I tell them that what matters to me is whether it is straight at the point the contest is. So if they want to throw to the tail it can start not straight as long as when it comes down to a point where there can be a contest it is straight at that point. Never had a problem with that. Also I tend to make the gap bigger.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Between inside shoulders. If it's windy get a bigger gap and don't be a pedant. If there is a fair contest let's get the ball back in play.
Saw a local ref blow not straight for just about every LO on a very windy day a few seasons ago. No management like getting a bigger gap and very strict on ball being inside line of shoulders. Problems when jumpers jumping inwards slightly so now inside shoulder virtually on LoT. Should have considered where shoulders were during set up. Wanted to jump the fence and offer some friendly advice

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
As others have said - as long as it's a contest it's straight. If the hookers are struggling, they need to throw it harder or shorter. Repeatedly throwing long in a gale was the only time I've considered giving a FK for repeated not straights - ended up having a quiet word with the hooker along the lines of "repeatedly throwing not straight is a FK offence - FFS throw to the front!".

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it is between the inside shoulders - fine.

If it is straight down the line/angled into jumper's midriff on a clearly non-contested ball (i.e. no jump/lift from opposition at any position) I might also let that go (also depends how far across the gap the jumper has leapt, i.e. not at all/all the way)

Down the line of outside shoulder/outside the line out - got to blow.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Down the line of outside shoulder/outside the line out - got to blow.

Not necessisarily for me....

You can throw it beyond the outside shoulder as long as when the ball comes down to the point of contest it is inside the outside shoulder.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
As long as the ball goes 5m along LoT I'm fine with it, and I've had no complaints. I used to overthink it and be more concerned with where the ball becomes playable, but I find using the Law definition simplifies things. If it's really blowy then I'll use management as well - widen the gap, encourage speedy and short throws.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
You can throw it beyond the outside shoulder as long as when the ball comes down to the point of contest it is inside the outside shoulder.
I don't see how you can have sensibly contested lineouts otherwise if a significant wind is blowing. There are circumstances when it is physically impossible to throw in a straight line.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Being a little devil, what offence has been committed if the thrower has thrown it straight for at least 5M and then a big gust of wind takes it off centre. You can't penalise the thrower because he has complied with the laws! Off the top of my head I am sure that there are circumstances when an 'Act of God' has influenced outcomes and doesn't get penalised.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
shrug -- if there is a wind blowing from Red to Blue , then blue have a natural advantage in every line out... and red have a natural advantage in all other parts of the game.

until half time.. !

so I'd say throw in have to be credible, but don't worry too much about it.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
shrug -- if there is a wind blowing from Red to Blue , then blue have a natural advantage in every line out... and red have a natural advantage in all other parts of the game.

until half time.. !

so I'd say throw in have to be credible, but don't worry too much about it.

Agree completely on credibility - following the law it only has to go between the front two in the LO gives that credibility. Manage the players to minimise the effect of any extreme gustiness.

And just because it happens in one half is no guarantee it won't switch at half-time with the players!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Agree completely on credibility - following the law it only has to go between the front two in the LO gives that credibility.
[LAWS]19.6 [FONT=fs_blakeregular]The player taking the throw-in must stand at the correct place. The player must not step into the field of play when the ball is thrown. The ball must be thrown straight, so that it travels at least 5 metres along the line of touch before it first touches the ground or touches or is touched by a player.[/FONT][/LAWS]
There is no formal definition of "straight". "Along the line of touch" might sensibly mean "so that it is on the line of touch when it can first be played". I expect the thrower to make a credible effort to put the ball where both teams can challenge for it. If there is a strong wind it makes no sense to require the ball to be thrown so that it lands in the scrum half's hands every time. The game is meant to be a contest.