[Law] When and why the intentional knock-on rule was added to the rugby laws?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"intentional knock-on" sounds a bit confusing to me. How about calling it "illegal interception"?
It is the standard terminology. I don't think you are going to be able to change that.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
maybe words like "intentional", "deliberate", "immediate" and "without delay" should be defined in Definitions

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd rather World Rugby left well alone. I have no confidence that they would be able to do so without creating a cascade of unintentional problems. In addition, what would be the point? We already have a defined period that a ball must be used by after the ref calls "use it" which is routinely ignored. Why create more problems? The last thing I need is a coach with a stopwatch presenting me with a list of events after a game in which I failed to meet the 3 second deadline for this and 5 second deadlienfor that.

Any law/definition changes must be able to be applied to grass roots rugby and not just professional rugby. Theres too much tinkering with laws to make the TV spectacle more appealing with little thought to how it can be applied across the game. Very narrow definitions will not make our job any easier.