[Law] When do you let things go and when do you penalise at U10s

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Great advice above. I would stress that you absolutely do NOT have to take abuse from coaches and parents. If you are getting serious flack, stop the game, go to the coach of the offending side and explain, politely but firmly, that you do not appreciate the verbals and that if it continues you will end the game. The one and only time I did this I actually had other adults from the offending team thank me for taking a stand.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Great advice above. I would stress that you absolutely do NOT have to take abuse from coaches and parents. If you are getting serious flack, stop the game, go to the coach of the offending side and explain, politely but firmly, that you do not appreciate the verbals and that if it continues you will end the game. The one and only time I did this I actually had other adults from the offending team thank me for taking a stand.

Ask them if they think they are setting a good example to the youngsters - or tell them that they are not - your choice.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Actually, I just noticed something in the latest u10 rules.

The New Rules of Play for u10 previously had rule 1b:-"Only infringements that affect the opposition’s play should be sanctioned."

The latest transitional contact for u10 rules (effective from 1st Aug 2017) have extended this:-
"Only infringements that affect the opposition’s play should be sanctioned. If there is no effect, advantage should be played wherever it is safe to do so”.

There's a big difference between the former (i.e. ignore immaterial infringements) and the later (i.e. don't blow immediately for immaterial infringements, play advantage wherever possible)

Or am I reading more into this than was intended.

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There's a big difference between the former (i.e. ignore immaterial infringements) and the later (i.e. don't blow immediately for immaterial infringements, play advantage wherever possible)

Hmm, I'd like to think that if there was anything significant in that it would have been communicated, certainly I attend all our county Age Grade Committee meetings on behalf of my club, and whilst I may nod off on occasion am fairly certain that there's been no mention of this, or in fact that there were 2017 revisions at all!

I don't think this really makes any difference to how you would approach the game though, you're still being encouraged to not blow the whistle and play on. Of course you always have the option to Combe back

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Completely agree with Dan.

I had an U12 game on Sunday and the away team coach was shouting at every decision.

After 10 minutes I stopped the game, called time off, and loudly asked him if he could come for a word please. I made sure he came to me onto the pitch (so in my playground and away from any of his cohorts).

I then simply asked him where in the Core Values it stated he could shout at the referee and dissent my decision.

I then pointed out that a couple of his players had been appealing for decisions, and they had clearly learnt this from him, so could he set a better example to his players please?

The key is to point out how their actions are affecting the way their players react. I wouldn't put up with this on a Saturday League game, and I certainly wont put up with it on a Sunday morning. A lot of coaches and parents are shocked if you do this on a Sunday morning as they somehow get used to it...don't let them.

outcast

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I had an U12 game on Sunday and the away team coach was shouting at every decision.

After 10 minutes I stopped the game, called time off, and loudly asked him if he could come for a word please. I made sure he came to me onto the pitch (so in my playground and away from any of his cohorts).

That is great advice. I had exactly the same situation with a U10s coach a couple of seasons ago. I handled it in a similar way but I walked over to him... I much prefer your approach of getting him to come to you.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was watching an U13 away game recently which was being refereed by a youngster getting some refereeing experience as part of his college course. The away team kept telling him things, and the coaches kept shouting advice. I politely suggested this was not a good idea, and they explained that it had been agreed with the referee beforehand, since he was still learning. I pointed out that the other team (my grandson's, who won easily) were being disadvantaged, and it wasn't actually helping him, since he had to learn to make up his own mind (even if wrong) and sell the decision. I also said he was doing quite well.

Fortunately I was wearing an anorak with "RFU Community Rugby" on it, so they didn't really argue, and I did not press the point, but things did quieten down.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My moon-walking bear - how did I not see U10 in the title???

Here's another bit of wisdom:

when we learn to ride a bike we start off with a bicycle then, if we are very confident & proficient, move onto the more challenging unicycle.

Refereeing rugby is the opposite. We start off with the very challenging little kids then, when we get better & more experienced, move onto the more structured older people.

So it does get easier ... stick with it!

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
hi verity .
reffing minis is very hard { ex specially u 10 }
i assure you reffing full size pitch at youth starting at u 13 is much easier .

next time a loud mouth gobby , know all coach {{ although a good coach wouldn't do it }} gives u grief
go over & either nut him or give him a right good kick in the bollocks .

i guarantee he wont do it again . { and nobody in crowd would mind }

also . report it to your society .
any club who gets appointed refs for mini festivals need to be told from your society .
it is their responsibility that all visiting teams are briefed properly & that parent or coach conduct has to be of a friendly good natured spirit only .

stick with the reffing . { you took the job because your ambitious & you clearly have a lot to give / learn }
dont kid your self , you did it because no body else would .
it takes guts & hard work ,,if you didnt have either ,,you wouldn't of took the leap

my advice would be dont watch telly rugby for tips { its a much faster game played by professional players }
do watch local matches in your club that are reffed by society refs .
there is some great college rugby on tv .. which is better telly rugby to learn from

know the laws about how a game restart .
a lot of penaltys & free kicks etc in line outs { never occur }

i use to pick 1 item a week
maybe scrum or line out or penalty's .
& i would read up on same .

dont try & take it all in at once .
its too much .

hope to see you in twickenham { as the girl in the middle } reffing an international some day soon .
the guy in stand with a limp & odd shape nose is the clown u nutted years ago . at an u 10 festival .