when most around you think otherwise ....trust your instincts

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If I notice my watch is close to time up and about to beep in situations like this I switch it off. You are the sole judge of time so this gives you room to manage any situation. Whenever I get asked how long sir I usually say not long, or in answer to the call is it last play? I usually say could be unless the game has been stopped for a penalty or free kick then I will tell them.

Diego

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Knock on in goal, then ball goes dead = Scrum 5 (no advantage call)

JJ10

Referees in England
Post Likes
I gave this same call (scrum 5 from knock on/failed try scoring attempt that went dead) in a 7s tournment the other day (yep, playing sevens in September!) and got questioned by the defending team, who would obviously rather the 22. They went on to get turned over at the scrum, and shipped a try under the posts. Lost the game. Glad to see i got this spot on as despite my on confidence the field I was't totally sure.

I can see what FoF means by it not being a "fair advantage" but in reality the defending side haven't done anything to "earn" anything more than a scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If I notice my watch is close to time up and about to beep in situations like this I switch it off. You are the sole judge of time so this gives you room to manage any situation. Whenever I get asked how long sir I usually say not long, or in answer to the call is it last play? I usually say could be unless the game has been stopped for a penalty or free kick then I will tell them.

I got a watch that vibrates, for exactly that reason. it's not always helpful for players to hear a beep, as they may misinterpret it (it might not be the full time beep)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I can see what FoF means by it not being a "fair advantage" but in reality the defending side haven't done anything to "earn" anything more than a scrum.
Precisely.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I got a watch that vibrates, for exactly that reason. it's not always helpful for players to hear a beep, as they may misinterpret it (it might not be the full time beep)

yep, turned my beep off too, just vibrate!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
especially useful if (ahem) you are having to 'adjust' the time per your watch for some reason, like forgetting to stop or start it at some point during the game.
Not that that ever happens of course.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
yep, turned my beep off too, just vibrate!

Are you still talking about watches or did the conversation move on? :biggrin:

especially useful if (ahem) you are having to 'adjust' the time per your watch for some reason, like forgetting to stop or start it at some point during the game.
Not that that ever happens of course.

Not if you have a Spintso Watch :biggrin:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I gave this same call (scrum 5 from knock on/failed try scoring attempt that went dead) in a 7s tournment the other day (yep, playing sevens in September!) and got questioned by the defending team, who would obviously rather the 22. They went on to get turned over at the scrum, and shipped a try under the posts. Lost the game. Glad to see i got this spot on as despite my on confidence the field I was't totally sure.

Would/could you call 22DO advantage if the ball was knocked on into in goal, and kick over the DBL by a defender?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Would/could you call 22DO advantage if the ball was knocked on into in goal, and kick over the DBL by a defender?

No!

It's a scrum 5 to the defenders.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

12.1(c)
[LAWS]c)
Knock-on or throw forward into the in-goal. If an attacking player knocks-on or throws-forward in the field of play and the ball goes into the opponents’ in-goal and it is made dead there, a scrum is awarded where the knock-on or throw forward happened.[/LAWS]

Last edited: