Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Looks like the new ground will be built near the cemetery... hope its not an omen 😬
There's a ready-made gag about rugby dying a slow death in Alice.

We believe that the new ground will be down near there. But the goalposts on this keep shifting, so I wouildn't hold your breath on that.
I wouldn't hold my breath on there being a next season.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Today - a rare ish rest day. Suspect I may have finished my Saturday appointments for the season, but we’ll see what next weekend brings

Sunday - in the middle of the Lancashire U16 Bowl final up in Fylde, and AR1 for the U14s and U15s before that. Going to be a long day but cannot wait!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This Thursday I am AR1 (promoted) for Uniplex Cup/Plate/Bowl/Shield

• Hallamshire v Dinnington 2

This weekend (unless I get pinched by NLMOT at the last minute) I am back on the whistle for (wait for it):-

Papa John’s Counties 3&Below North Plate Quarter Final

• Rotherham Phoenix v Bury (Lancs)

Not refereed there for about 15 years. :)

Only my third whistling gig of the season and probably my last - barring accidents.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hartlepool BBOB vs Seaton Carew local Pyman Cup Final for me - first time with appointed ARs too so looking forward to that

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not needed up north, so covering a Mens D3 game in Carlinville, somewhere in the expanse of Forgottonia.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
TBC - to be honest happy without, but if I do it’ll be a good opportunity
Great if they are working. not necessarily a good opportunity. Depends of the kit, open mic, or press to talk from AR.
press to talk can be awkward as you fiddle for the button but open mic can be just white noise.
I've experienced them twice this season and both times people struggled to keep the earpieces in so eventually gave up which is awkward when the crowd see you miced up and nothing happens when offences occur.
I'm going to try a headband next time but the downside is I'll look a dick!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Great if they are working. not necessarily a good opportunity. Depends of the kit, open mic, or press to talk from AR.
press to talk can be awkward as you fiddle for the button but open mic can be just white noise.
I've experienced them twice this season and both times people struggled to keep the earpieces in so eventually gave up which is awkward when the crowd see you miced up and nothing happens when offences occur.

Looks like I'll be without so I'll prepare a brief on that basis, when I've been an AR we normally use open mic, but I seem to spend half the time getting the kit to reconnect, and thus end up distracted

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
When I've had mics, the earpiece loop is adjustable, so that it fits snug to the ear - if the wearer has issues, then athletic tape around the ear comes into play.

Re: open mic/PTT - in the hardware I've used, the set-up is that only the center gets the open mic, and the ARs get PTT.

Re: fiddling for button, if I have a vest, I always put it on the upper left side, since I have the flag in the right hand. In terms of setup, I've been lent (and at some point need to invest in) this vest - has ample places to clip the button, and a back pocket for storing the battery.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tell the AR -if it's not card worthy AND you've got the number DON'T bother! I AM THE REF, NOT YOU. YOU ARE AN AR, PLEASE ACT LIKE ONE.!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tell the AR -if it's not card worthy AND you've got the number DON'T bother! I AM THE REF, NOT YOU. YOU ARE AN AR, PLEASE ACT LIKE ONE.!
This very much depends on the center ref. When AR'ing with radios, I always ask the center ref what they want/need from us. Some want more, some want less. If I'm on the side with the sides and there's no #4, I'll ask what they want re: subs.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
When I've had mics, the earpiece loop is adjustable, so that it fits snug to the ear - if the wearer has issues, then athletic tape around the ear comes into play.

Re: open mic/PTT - in the hardware I've used, the set-up is that only the center gets the open mic, and the ARs get PTT.

Re: fiddling for button, if I have a vest, I always put it on the upper left side, since I have the flag in the right hand. In terms of setup, I've been lent (and at some point need to invest in) this vest - has ample places to clip the button, and a back pocket for storing the battery.
This is good.

In Alice, we're on radios the whole time. Middle man is vox - broadcasting all the time. AR's are on buttons - but the buttons are big things, so not at all fiddly.

We use Ref Audio Pro, and they are excellent.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I'm not quite sure which comment you are replying to here, but as as an Assistant Referee, if the referee spoke to me like this he's on his own. Don't be surprised if you get hung out to dry!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm not quite sure which comment you are replying to here, but as as an Assistant Referee, if the referee spoke to me like this he's on his own. Don't be surprised if you get hung out to dry!

Ditto. There'd be more than white noise coming down the earpiece...

I know Comms are a rare "luxury" for most and tend to be confined to this end of the season.

As a Society we have a few sets of AxiWi and they are ok most of the time. As CT says these have a tiny PTT button so they get used open the majority of the time.

As a "proper" AR I have never used them on PTT. NLMOT refs have a set of AxiWis

The earpieces are not great and they need to be liberally taped to the head/face/ear to keep the mic steady.

About a year ago I invested in a moulded earpiece and rigid mic set which is very comfortable and doesn't budge when running (quiet at the back there) or whatever. Wasn't cheap but I consider it part of my kit.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As if by magic (hands up all those who remember Mr Benn?) I have been moved back on to NLMOT:-

N2N - L4 - AR2 (I know my place)

Sheffield Tigers v Fylde

Dead rubber with neither team likely to move up or down.

Weather looks cack too. 800' up :(

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As a Society we have a few sets of AxiWi and they are ok most of the time. As CT says these have a tiny PTT button so they get used open the majority of the time.

As a "proper" AR I have never used them on PTT. NLMOT refs have a set of AxiWis

The earpieces are not great and they need to be liberally taped to the head/face/ear to keep the mic steady.

About a year ago I invested in a moulded earpiece and rigid mic set which is very comfortable and doesn't budge when running (quiet at the back there) or whatever. Wasn't cheap but I consider it part of my kit.

We have the new Axiwi's with the curly earpieces. They are much better than the boom mic versions.
I have purchased these new style headsets for the one older set of Axiwi we have.

We use them on open Mic and it works well. I am happy for all the input I can get, but tell them not to be upset if I ignore it.
The only time I had to ask an AR to turn his mic to PTT was for one slightly out of condition AR who sounded like he had Panda Asma down the earpiece!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is good.

In Alice, we're on radios the whole time. Middle man is vox - broadcasting all the time. AR's are on buttons - but the buttons are big things, so not at all fiddly.

We use Ref Audio Pro, and they are excellent.
The only ones I've ever used are Audio Pros, and it's been a mixed bag - when they work, they're amazing, but at times getting them to work is damn near rocket surgery.