Where are you this weekend- Southern Hemisphere 2014

JP_Rocks

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Considering how much traffic goes through the northern hemisphere 'where are you this weekend' thread, I figured it couldn't hurt to start one of our own.

One week until our club season kicks off, but this Saturday I'm doing my first senior womens game ever: Northern Region Maori v Auckland Tonga. This is part of an Auckland Pacific Nations tourney, with the other two teams being Auckland Samoa and Counties Cook Islands. Should be interesting, and will likely be far more competitive and intense than the mens preseason games I've been doing over the last few weeks, so will present a very good opportunity to sharpen up management and communications pillars leading into next weekend.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Got a Premier Grade game this weekend, then on Sunday I have a state game. Should be a fun weekend out.

JP_Rocks

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
First round of club rugby, have Western v Massey in our prem competition. Should be a good one, Massey won the championship last year while Western finished strong only to just miss out on a semi final spot, and then win the plate finals.

The womens game last weekend was surprisingly good- decent handling skills and running lines, and a very good level of intensity and competitiveness. Covered 6.1km according to my garmin, which puts it on a par with a normal prem club game for me.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nice. I hit 7km in my prem game last week, although it was 59-24 so I did get some tries out of the game.

Got a game on Friday night before the Rebels game, Vic v Sydney North West U17 for a spot in the JGC final. Then got a prem game on Saturday between last years premiers and a semi finalist from last year.

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Preseason time! Thursday I had an under 15s trial at De La Salle College, today I had two games between Wesley College and Tangaroa College - under 15a Wesley won 38-7 and 2nd XV won 36-0.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Prem 2 game at Cerberus. Good 1st half; patchy 2nd half. Must try harder.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Prem 2 game at Cerberus. Good 1st half; patchy 2nd half. Must try harder.

You or the players? :biggrin::rolleyes:

I had 1st division (City)vs 2nd division (country) trial. ADFA vs Mudchooks ie Fit young defence force vs tough willey country. Error ridden (them) due to wet and slippery conditions. One handbags at near full time.

Think I missed a few things, but otherwise I was content with my own performance. Pleased with my fitness and getting to the breakdown.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes..it's always awesome being beaten by the cellar dwellers! :rolleyes:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Got another Premier Grade game at the moment, then got 2 weeks off which will be good.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Our season comps start this weekend.....now just waiting impatiently for the email for an appointment. I hope it's a half decent one!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Trial match this weekend. My first seniors match so we will see how we go!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't change anything, they will try to test you out but just approach it like any other game. You know the laws, they probably don't. Also you will most likely get greater compliance from a little less "coaching" in your talk.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tried to run a bit of reffing during the team training run this evening, but with 15vs5, its nearly impossible to have anything that resembles more than 2 phases. Have to admit that physically it wasn't all that hard though, even when I had to chase the full backs from one corner to the far try line.

JP_Rocks

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Week 2 of the competition, another prem game, this time between the two teams that suffered the heaviest losses in week one. They're not traditionally weak teams, so hopefully is was a one game aberration, and they both put on some decent footy this time round.

Good luck for your first seniors game Jarrod, don't take and sh!t and you'll be fine.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have the week off this weed due to a wedding, however I might be able to get out and do a U16s game in the morning if I can OK it with the minister for homeland affairs.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Got another Premier Grade game this weekend, 1v2 on the ladder with both sides playing some good attacking rugby. Both are very strong from broken play so I anticipate quite a lot of sprints.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did the Police Games last Saturday and ended up on the piss with a bunch of Kiwi coppers. Nice guys.

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Been only doing midweek games recently, today was Mt Roskill College vs St Augustine's from Sydney. Minor miracle occured - after 1 minute of play there was a late tackle, I didn't see the player's number so I called the Roskill captain over and said "Next dangerous tackle, of any kind, the player goes to the bin."

That was the only tackle penalty I blew in the entire game.

JP_Rocks

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Away at a wedding last weekend, and have North Shore v Takapuna prems on Sunday. Should be an interesting game, both teams are traditionally very successful but have both had rocky starts to the year. Compounding things for Shore is a non-comp game against Ponsonby on Friday as a curtain raiser to the Blues, so they may well be a bit rough come Sunday. This is probably our biggest local rivalry, and I'm pretty pumped for the game.